Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

security for username and password

Dear Team.

How can we restrict the username and password configured on router only for telnet or only for ssh.

Regards.

Santosh M.K.

2 Replies 2

Hi

You need to configure the lines vty for example:

line vty 0 15
transport input ssh   <-- SSH only

or 

transport input telnet  <-- Telnet only

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I understand the question from Santosh a bit differently than Julio does. He is answering the question of how do I limit access to the router to be only telnet or only SSH. I understand the question to be about user names that are configured on the router being used to authenticate a user for telnet or SSH but not being used for example to authenticate a VPN user or a dial in user or something like that. If you are using AAA for authentication then it should be possible to specify different authentication for vty access then for other functions. If you are not using AAA for authentication then I am not sure that you can make the distinction about what it will be used for.

Perhaps we need some clarification from the original poster about what he is really asking and the environment that he is working in.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card