cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Seeing ARP entries eventhough interface is down

jaishankar1
Level 1
Level 1

can you please share your thoughts on Seeing ARP entries even though interface is down?

note: we are able to see ARP entry but not able to ping IP address. we even cleared arp entry but still it is existing in the arp table with no Age limit like below

DP1-West#sh arp   
Protocol  Address          Age (min)  Hardware Addr   Type   Interface

Internet  20.20.20.54           -   34db.fd2e.6d41  ARPA   Vlan666

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vb10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This entry doesn't have Age time ("-" under Age colnum). So, it is ARP entry of switch's own interface (VLAN666), or configured static entry. You can check it by verifying mac address of SVI Vlan666:

"show interface vlan666" and check mac address, it can be 34db.fd2e.6d41

or verify static entries "show run | sec arp"

View solution in original post

Whenever you see "-" in the ageing time of arp output, it means you are seeing the mac of my own interface. 

Please click star if you are happy with my answer.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

vb10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This entry doesn't have Age time ("-" under Age colnum). So, it is ARP entry of switch's own interface (VLAN666), or configured static entry. You can check it by verifying mac address of SVI Vlan666:

"show interface vlan666" and check mac address, it can be 34db.fd2e.6d41

or verify static entries "show run | sec arp"

Whenever you see "-" in the ageing time of arp output, it means you are seeing the mac of my own interface. 

Please click star if you are happy with my answer.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco