Views
Helpful
Replies

send traffic up to line rate ( 1Gbps)

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hello guys

I have 1G Committed Pipe between Point A (ASR1000) and Point B (ASR1000)
I need to test the link , how can i send traffic up to line rate ( 1Gbps)

thanks all 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi! 

You can also use this traffic generator which is just an application you can download it from the web site. Please refer to the following document authored by me for details:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13016006/easy-traffic-generator-works-gns3

Hope it helps, best regards!

JC

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You may need some traffic generators like IXIA, Spirent etc.

Hi nagendra

this is a devices , ex spirent , right 

can i achieve the same as paul mentioned via MQC

thanks 

Hi Ibrahim,

Yes, it is a device to pump traffic. Ping is one way of generating traffic, but i think it might be hard to get line rate of traffic. The other option is to configure multiple IP SLA with less frequency and bigger packet size.

-Nagendra

Hi! 

You can also use this traffic generator which is just an application you can download it from the web site. Please refer to the following document authored by me for details:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13016006/easy-traffic-generator-works-gns3

Hope it helps, best regards!

JC

Hi Carlos

I would use urs

thanks to u and to all guys

Hello

Apply a continuous ping from one asr to the other with a large packet size and (assuming no other traffic is ring used)

Then on the receiving asr apply a policy map to capture the traffic

policy-map Test

Class class-default

int x//x

load-interval 30

service policy input Test

Res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

do i need any class-map

shall the ping < other end > size <1gb> enough to let PRTG show me the pipe is fully utilized

thanks 

Hello

No need for a class map as you are matching on any traffic hitting the other rtr, Unless you do have other traffic traversing the link at the same time and want to match on say specific ICMP.then yes use a class-map and possibly an acl aswell to match on protocol and source

Forgot to mention to post the show command for the receiving rtr policy map

sh policy-map interface x/x

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I would use two PC (one connected to each router) with iPerf to test it.

Hi karsten

mate , do you have how the config on java iPref looks like ???

thanks mate in advance

Never used the Java version, but there are numerous howtos on the internet like the following:

http://www.openmaniak.com/iperf.php

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card