Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

set ip next-hop verify-availability

Hello ,

I need to know under which circumstances we have to use (set ip next-hop verify-availability) while doing PBR.

Please correct me if I am wrong that even if i use (set ip next-hop) command instead of set ip next-hop verify-availability inside

route-map and next-hop is not reachable then normal routing table will be used. So why i need to use (set ip next-hop verify-availability)

and under which circumstances.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

even if i use (set ip next-hop) command instead of set ip next-hop verify-availability inside route-map and next-hop is not reachable then normal routing table will be used.

not necessarily.

If the next-hop is reachable via a multiaccess interface (for instance a VLAN), the state of this multiaccess interface may not change to down when the next-hop becomes unreachable. The PBR router then will try to resolve the next-hop (ARP) forever instead of using the normal routing table.

Rolf

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

even if i use (set ip next-hop) command instead of set ip next-hop verify-availability inside route-map and next-hop is not reachable then normal routing table will be used.

not necessarily.

If the next-hop is reachable via a multiaccess interface (for instance a VLAN), the state of this multiaccess interface may not change to down when the next-hop becomes unreachable. The PBR router then will try to resolve the next-hop (ARP) forever instead of using the normal routing table.

Rolf

Thanks Rolf.

edsiew1971
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

In the case of "set ip next-hop recursive" where the next-hop IP will certainly be gone from the routing table when the link is down, does it mean that the traffic will be forwarded based on the "normal" routing using routes in the routing table?  Thanks 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card