Helpful
Replies

Shape average command on 12.4

fdogbrncloud
Level 1
Level 1

Most have seen the message:

(config-pmap-c)#shape average ?
<8000-1000000000> Target Bit Rate (bits per second), the value needs to be multiple of 8000
percent % of interface bandwidth for Committed information rate

My question is why does the router call for the target bit rate to be in multiples of 8000?

I am able to create policies which shape at rates that are not multiples of 8000, and apply them to interfaces.

sh policy-map int vlan100
Vlan100

Service-policy output: POLICY_MAP

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
18 packets, 1386 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: any
Traffic Shaping
Target/Average     Byte     Sustain      Excess     Interval     Increment
      Rate                Limit     bits/int      bits/int      (ms)          (bytes)
19500/19500      1950     7800          7800       410            975

What am I missing here?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No, it's not a multiple of 8,000, the minimum bit rate, as a numeric bps, is 8,000. It would appear you've found an incorrect description for that command's usage.

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:
No, it's not a multiple of 8,000, the minimum bit rate, as a numeric bps, is 8,000. It would appear you've found an incorrect description for that command's usage.

Joseph, thanks for the reply. I did know about the 8k minimum for shaping on the older IOS. The incorrect description I found is from the routers CLI output. I thought maybe it was a command comment that carried over from an earlier IOS version, but was no longer correct. I guess I'll do some testing and verify that the shaping works at different speeds (not multiples of 8k).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card