Views
Helpful
Replies

Skype Priotize Traffic 3560

11adsking
Level 1
Level 1

Drawing1.jpg

Q.1    I Do want know what could be best Device to Priotize Skype Traffic i mean shoul i implement it on Cisco 3560 or squid or Mikrotik according to my current secenrio to get best result.

Q. 2  Also do Let know how Priotize Skype Traffic in Cisco 3560 Switch

2 Replies 2

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello:

Q1: It is reasonable to use prioritization as closer to the smallest link as possible. In you case I gues that is on Mikrotik router. There is no sense to prioritize it on 3560 if it has big pipe to squid and then start loosing those packets on mikrotik on slower WAN connection. So first of all locate where oversubscription may start - consider all hosts sending at maximum rate (100MB or 1Gig??) at a time - will it cause oversubscription of link 356-squid? If yes consider QoS there for skype. If not go to next step. I guess the smallest pipe is mikrotik-WAN so that is a place for prioritization.

Q2: Well, non-trivial question -Skype made its protocol hard to catch not to have it easy blocked by ISP's. They use multiple destination ports I guess both TCP for connection and UDP for traffic and also multiple destination ip addresses.  You will need to get some statistics on what are the ones used in your network collecting some traffic and then examining it and then build rules upon it.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hello

How are You

i got your first answer is Fine enough to resolve my issue but second one is still unclear.

I mean i dont know how to do that what you said.

explain it throughly please if u can.

i have already tested many posts but non of them worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card