Helpful
Replies

SM-X-ES3 backplane connectivity on ISR 2911

tuanquangnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I got a few questions regarding the EtherSwitch module on ISR 2911

1. For the EtherSwitch module on ISR 2911, is it possible to configure Port-channel on the two backplane ports between the ISR and the ESM?

2. Considering the backplane would barely become faulty, is using SVI or loopback interface a viable option to connect to the ESM (via console from the ISR)?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

1. you mean convert the internal ports on the router (Gig x/0 and Gig x/1) that are mapped to the correponding ports on the SM to a port channel ? I don't think that is possible.

2. Not sure what you mean by that. You can access the SM either by issuing the 'service-module gigabitethernet x/0 session' command, or by using TELNET (see link below):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/ISRG2_config.html#71280

Hi @Georg Pauwen ,

Thanks for your reply.

For question 2, what I meant was that: Prior to issuing that command, according to the guide, we need to configure an IP address on the backplane port (e.g. G1/0 before issuing "service-module G1/0 session"). Instead of that, I want to configure an SVI or loopback on the router:

- For the SVI method, I could configure G1/0 and G1/1 as switchport mode trunk

- For loopback method, I could configure ip unnumbered lo0 on G1/0 and G1/1

Then I guess I would be able to issue service-module G1/0 (or G1/1) session. In case one backplane port has hardware problem, I can still access via the other one (since ISR G2 are EoS iirc). The ESM is used for aggregating all external connection (as a L2 switch), and connect them back to router via backplane, so I don't want any in-band management IP/routing on the switch.

Hello,

I guess that should work, as long as  you somehow reference the IP address on the Gigabit Ethernet interface connected to the SM (either by using 'ip unnumbered' or the SVI). 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card