cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing Using Policy (Routing) – A Simplified Licensing Approach- AMA Forum

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ask Me Anything Forum

This event is a chance to review and understand the technical details of SLP, the Greenfield and Brownfield scenario, deployment details for devices, the new Cisco Smart Licensing utility (CSLU), and controllers (CSLU, CSSM Cloud, CSSM On-Prem, and DNAC).

To participate in this event, please use the reply-button.png button below to ask your questions

Ask questions from Tuesday, May 18 to Friday, May 28, 2021

Featured Experts
pradchau.jpg

Pradeep Chaudhari brings 16 years of rich industry experience in the Enterprise and Service Provider Networking domains. He has been with Cisco for 13+ years.

Since joining Cisco in 2008, he has been part of multiple teams within Cisco and held various technical and consulting roles focusing on different SP accounts and technologies (MPLS-VPN, MPLS-TE, etc.). 

In the Enterprise space, Pradeep also led the charge on complex network design and implementation projects for Cisco SDN-based ACI Solutions for industry verticals including Banking-Finance and IT.  Presently a Technical Marketing Engineer on the IBNG Routing Platform Team, he is responsible for the ISR4000 and Catalyst 8300 Series Edge Platforms family. He is also a SME for Smart Licensing. On a personal front, Pradeep holds a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics & Telecommunication from the University of Mumbai, India. He also holds three CCIE certifications (Routing & Switching, Service Provider, and Data Center).

**Helpful votes Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to your Questions

Do you know you can get answers before opening a TAC case by visiting the Cisco Community?
For more information, visit the Networking category. To find further Cisco Community events: Click here.

15 Replies 15

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pradeep, could you help us with those pending questions?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Q:Does the SSM(Satellite Sever) support (Authorize License-Enforced Features) via a single device or multiple devices? SSM does not and never did support SLR.
· What information and file type are needed for "Authorize License-Enforced Features" for multiple devices? (i.e. Do you just need the Serial number and PID and can you upload a .csv or .xls)
· Can the SSM push out Authorize License-Enforced Features auth codes to PIs?

On-Prem SSM supports Authorize License-Enforced Features via both a single device or multiple devices.

• You can upload .csv file to request Authorize License-enforced Features auth code for multiple devices. You will need the Host Name (IP Address), UDI, and Serial Number.
  • Yes. On-Prem SSM push the auth code (SLAC) onto Device once they receive it from CSSM.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:Can CSLU automatically discover all SLU capable devices or should we do it from devices?

Zero-touch DNS discovery of cslu-local. Once device upgrade to SLP code, the default transport is cslu and cslu-local as dns name. Devices can discovered the CSLU if you have configured the name server with an entry where hostname cslu-local is mapped to the CSLU IP address (the windows host where you installed CSLU), no configuration is required. The product instance automatically discovers hostname cslu-local.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:What is the minimum version for nexus 9K?

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:How often does CSLU talk to CSSM?

It depends on the configured value.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:Shouldn’t we have there an Orange case mentioning the configuration of URL?

Please refer Deploying Smart License Using Policy section in the pdf for configuration.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

That’s correct. DLC will be automatically initiated once device upgrade to SLP code 17.3.2 & later. The DLC request will be forwarded to CSSM via CSLU, On-Prem DNAC or On-Prem SSM depend on the connectivity and CSSM will revert back with DLC completion status to device.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:If I have on-prem-SSM I assume I'll need to upgrade to the new version supporting SLP in order for DLC to work automatically, right?

A: On-Prem SSM needs to upgrade to SLP supported version V8-202102.Device needs to be upgraded to 17.3.3 or later to support On-Prem SSM with SLP.

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

Q:Maybe I got it wrong (or missed it) but from what I’ve seen devices adding on CSLU are done one by one. Is there any way to do a « bulk » add of several devices?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card