Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP configuration

p.diaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody.

Could any tell me if it is possible to configure a router totally by snmp commands. for example a router to be a P o PE router in an MPLS Network? without use any CLI command.

Thanks regards

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about the others but you can CHANGE the config using SNMP if you have the correct Read/Write community string.

I have used SolarWinds' product to do this and there are alot more applications for Windows/Unix that could do the same thing.

Hope this answers your question.

Pedro

Leo raises an interesting question but does not address it directly. So let me: your post asks if it is possible to configure a router "completely" via SNMP. So my direct question is: does this mean to configure a router "fresh out of the box" using SNMP?

If you are talking about taking a router with no previous configuration and configuring it using SNMP, then the answer is NO you can not do this. If the router does not have configured IP addresses and does not have configured SNMP community strings, then how would SNMP access the router to make any config?

If your question is whether you could take a router with configured IP addresses and configured SNMP community strings, then Leo has provided an answer for that.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

leo and Rick. Yes I am talking about configuring the router via SNMP after defining an ip and the snmp basic configuration. So can I suposse that after that basic configuration I do never touch the CLI again. Can I configure for example MPLS, LDP, OSPF, MP BGP, Address Familys, VRF routes, everything via SNMP

Yes, you can...sort of. You can use SNMP to trigger TFTP or RCP copies of configuration snippets to the device via the CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB. For example, you can create a snippet for OSPF:

router ospf 29

network 10.0.0.0 area 0

end

Then, using the CONFIG-COPY-MIB, you can tell the router to do a TFTP upload of this snippet which is then merged into the running config. See this tech tip on how to use the MIB:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card