cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking on 3750, no light?

BashedRoot
Level 2
Level 2

So I had set up stacking between 2 3750G switches and today also installed a 2nd stack cable among them. I noticed the "stack" light is not on either one. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be on? How can I absolutely confirm via CLI that the stacking cables are indeed in effect? I'm 99% the 1st is. It was installed 2 weeks ago and via CLI, show run shows 48 ports (24 per switch) so that's all go but I also want to confirm the 2nd as well.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try this command on the master switch

sh switch stack-ports

it will show you if both stack ports are ok or not.  It will show you something like below if both stack ports are connected and working:

Switch#   Port1     Port2     
----------------------------
1         OK        OK        
2         OK        OK  

HTH

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try this command on the master switch

sh switch stack-ports

it will show you if both stack ports are ok or not.  It will show you something like below if both stack ports are connected and working:

Switch#   Port1     Port2     
----------------------------
1         OK        OK        
2         OK        OK  

HTH

Strange. 2nd one I installed today shows down? Do I have to configure it via CLI? I was told that it should kick in automatically.

Cisco3750#sh switch stack-ports
  Switch #    Port 1       Port 2
  --------    ------       ------
    1           Ok          Down  
    2           Ok          Down 

I did a quick search here and found these commands. Before I run them, I assume this is how to enable the 2nd one right?

switch 1 stack port 2 enable
switch 2 stack port 2 enable

There is no need for any command when adding a switch to a stack.  Make sure the new switch you are trying to add has the same exact license and IOS installed (sh ver & sh lice).

Also, make sure the stacking cable is connected the right way and it secured and not lose.

HTH

Yes its connected "the right way". I have two and they're already stacked on port 1. Did you read my first reply and 2nd? It didn't register the 2nd one yet and it appears I must run that command first.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe I recall Cisco recommends stack cables should not be connected between two powered on units.  Was one unit powered off when you connected the stack cables?  If not, you might try powering off one unit and powering it back on.

That's not how we did the 1st cable, both were powered on and I cannot power off the 2nd, production mode.

What's the issue with running these commands?

switch 1 stack port 2 enable
switch 2 stack port 2 enable

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

". . . both were powered on and I cannot power off the 2nd, production mode."

Suggest you schedule maintenance.

I ran the commands but it still shows down? Confused, it should go up right away I assume without the need to reboot, which first cable did not require. I tried hitting "enter" too instead of y, same result.

Cisco3750#switch 1 stack port 2 enable
Enabling/disabling a stack port may cause undesired stack changes. Continue?[confirm]y
Cisco3750#switch 2 stack port 2 enable
Enabling/disabling a stack port may cause undesired stack changes. Continue?[confirm]y
Cisco3750#show switch stack-ring speed

Stack Ring Speed        : 16G
Stack Ring Configuration: Half
Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise
    2           Ok          Down 

Is this necessary (before I try)?

Each 3750 switch’s back has two stack ports 1 and 2.

Suppose you want to connect two switches with two stack cables:

1st switch port 1 connects to 2nd switch port 2.

1st switch port 2 connects to 1st switch port 1.

The stack cables will be crossed.

Ok tried this. Powered off, looped stacking cables as suggested by others, powered on. Shows the loop (port 1 to port 2, vice versa) but 2nd cable still not registering. That's the issue.

2          Down          Ok   

Cisco3750#show switch stack-ring speed

Stack Ring Speed        : 16G
Stack Ring Configuration: Half
Stack Ring Protocol     : StackWise

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Did you also swap cables?  You might have a bad cable or bad port on one of the switches.  Normal operation, both stack cables should come up.

Reza already answered your question about the CLI. The Stacking-LED, has a different usage. When you use the mode-button to toggle through the LEDs, when at the Stack-Mode, you can see which switch is which one. That's useful if you stand in front of the stack and you have to remove the cable from stack-member "5" ...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card