Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise Virtual and VSS

gauravpundir231
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can you pls explain the functional difference between VSS and Stackwise Virtual.

If both are same then why cisco introduced stackwise virtual

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @gauravpundir231 ,

it is just marketing and it is creating a lot of confusion because there are many threads about the fact that people seeing SVL thinks oh finally I can create a virtual switch with four members.

None an SVL is made only of two chassis of the same type as noted by @Leo Laohoo .

The most excting news about Cat9x00 with x > 2 are:

support of Iox 2.0 for use with industrial ethernet in IoT applications

support of vcpu and small footprint VM based on Docker

native support of DNAC + ISE to build a SD Access campus fabric

To be noted DNAC+ISE allows to use microsegmentation (security tags) and macrosegmentation (VRFs)

This is a very important point that I would like to point out the DNAC+ISE framework allows to keep the TCAM utilization low using when possible security tags to match traffic and decide what is the forwarding decision instead of using traditional CEF IP destination based lookup.

These are the selling points for sale engineers for whose of us providing delivery of professional services or for those that are network engineer on the customer side means a shift towards Devops and network programmability.

Python + libraries also called modules, starting from Python + paramiko /netmiko , up to Ansible or Napalm.

For me Python : Perl like C++ : C

so if in you studies you have made programming in C, C++ and or PERL, TCL/TK with Expect python is just a scripting language that uses the OOP = Object Oriented Programming

This is my personal experience and understanding

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/difference-bw-vss-vs-cisco-stackwise-virtual/td-p/3720177

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no difference. Stackwise Virtual and VSS are essentially the same function.
Sales/Marketing decision was the reason why someone had to come up with the term "stackwise virtual".

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @gauravpundir231 ,

it is just marketing and it is creating a lot of confusion because there are many threads about the fact that people seeing SVL thinks oh finally I can create a virtual switch with four members.

None an SVL is made only of two chassis of the same type as noted by @Leo Laohoo .

The most excting news about Cat9x00 with x > 2 are:

support of Iox 2.0 for use with industrial ethernet in IoT applications

support of vcpu and small footprint VM based on Docker

native support of DNAC + ISE to build a SD Access campus fabric

To be noted DNAC+ISE allows to use microsegmentation (security tags) and macrosegmentation (VRFs)

This is a very important point that I would like to point out the DNAC+ISE framework allows to keep the TCAM utilization low using when possible security tags to match traffic and decide what is the forwarding decision instead of using traditional CEF IP destination based lookup.

These are the selling points for sale engineers for whose of us providing delivery of professional services or for those that are network engineer on the customer side means a shift towards Devops and network programmability.

Python + libraries also called modules, starting from Python + paramiko /netmiko , up to Ansible or Napalm.

For me Python : Perl like C++ : C

so if in you studies you have made programming in C, C++ and or PERL, TCL/TK with Expect python is just a scripting language that uses the OOP = Object Oriented Programming

This is my personal experience and understanding

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe and All for explaining : )
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card