Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route load balancing path selection

Wai wai
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Let say in a layer 3 switch we have two same static routes with the default same AD doing the path load balancing, example :-

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.1.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.1.2

:: whereby 10.10.1.1 is the Router A and 10.10.1.2 is the Router B, both going into the same network cloud.

We all know that that both routes will get installed into the routing table, and it will be the switching process that do the load-sharing which is the cef and by default it is a per destination load-shares (src-dst IP pair)

My question is how can I know which path is being use for a particular session pair ? such as if we have source A,B and destination C,D and some scenario such as the below :-

- A to C will use the first path (Router A)

- A to D will use the second path (Router B)

- B to C will use the second path (Router B)

- B to D will use the first path (Router A)

So how can I determine which path a src-dst pair will take and selected ? can we get the table information on all this details ? if src A to dst C use the first path, it will always be persistent for this pair right ?

Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance smiley

Regards.

Wai

3 Replies 3

Wai wai
Level 1
Level 1

I can try to perform the trace-route from workstation A to workstation C or any trace-route between the workstations, but it couldn't show and reveal which path it choose and taken from the outputs. sad

According to my point of view you can analyze with extended ping with record route option.

HTH

prajithtr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wai Wai,

You can check the output packet rate of output interface after the ping from source to destination.once the ping completes check out on which interface the output packet rate got increased.Thus you can determine the path.Just try it ..perhaps it may help you..

Regards

PrajithTR

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card