Helpful
Replies

Static Routes Vs. Destination Based Routing

Hamidsattarrana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

Hope you are doing great. 

I need some help regarding Static Routes & Destination Based Routing? How can you differentiate those two terms?

1- Static Routes

2- Destination Based Routing

5 Replies 5

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Most routing performed on the routers is destination based routing:

1. router receives a packet from interface (intfA)

2. router looks at the destination address (DA1) in packet 

3. router looks at the routing-table and find out where to forward packet with destination (DA1)

4. router forwards the packet to the destination interface (intfB)

Static routes are entries to the routing-table used by the router in step 3 above. Static route tells the router to forward all packets with certain destination out some interface/next-hop. e.g.

static route DA1 next-hop is intfB

HTH.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In General, Both are the same and some times different vendors called with different names. As Static route is also taking a decision based on destination address only. The static router will not care who is sender but it will always look as where to send.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Please correct me if I am wrong.
No matter what kind of routing your perform on router like Default Routing, Static Routing or Policy Based routing?
There is always a destination address or we will not route a packet.
Am I right?

Every IP packet specifies an address and that address is the destination address. It is not possible to have an IP packet that does not have a destination address. The question is whether the forwarding decision (many people would call it the routing decision but I think it is more clear to identify that routing is a process of deciding how to forward a packet) will use the destination address or will use something else. Most of the time the forwarding decision will be based on the destination address but implementation of Policy Based Routing allows us to make the forwarding decision based on something other than the destination address (perhaps on the source address, perhaps on the tcp or udp port of the packet, perhaps some other criteria).

So PBR is the exception to the general assumption that the forwarding decision will be based on destination address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Hamidsattarrana,

Static or destination route used when you need a change route based in destination.

EX:

I have two firewalls 75.100.1.2 and 75.100.10.10

If I need that all traffic to 8.8.8.8 pass by firewall 2 I need put route 8.8.8.8 255.255.255.255 75.100.10.10

I use 255.255.255.255 because of a host, but if you need a full network, no problem.

PBR - Policy-based routing

Used when you need change source by another destination.

EX:

My default route is firewall 1 75.100.1.2, but the guest network I want putting in firewall 2.

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0 any (192.168.100 guest network)

route-map guest permit 10

mach ip address 100

set ip next-hop 75.100.10.10

route-map guest permit 20 (permit all other traffic with default route).

Please rate and mark posts accordingly if you have found any of the information provided useful.
It will hopefully assist others with similar issues in the future.

Best regards,
Lucas Freitas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card