Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange data corruption over tunnel

neroshake
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a very strange data/file corruption over GRE/IPSEC tunnels. I have two sites connected with WAN links (four links, 80mbps one, 50mbps another, and 20mbps remaining ones). I am using GRE over IPSEC tunnels between sites. The issue is that very often files transferred from one site to another get corrupted but the corruption pattern is actually very interesting. The file size remains the same and in received file some bytes are simply shifted from original location. If I open the file in HEX editor and manually move the bytes to correct place the file and its checksum are becoming OK. Any thoughts what can this be related with? Some additional info.
1. For testing I am using 5GB sample file.
2. When testing purely over WAN links (PCs directly connected to the WAN link, no routers and tunnels between them) no corruption.
3. I am using 3945E routers on both ends. Replaced them with spare ones - no change.
4. The corruption happens not always. There are successful transfers as well.
5. For copying I am using FTP and SMB
6. Here is the tunnel config
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description toSite2
 bandwidth 50000
 ip address XXXX
 ip access-group ACL_1 in
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly in
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 crypto map CMAP

interface Tunnel10
  description GREVPN_GE0/0_2Site2
  ip address YYYY
  ip mtu 1400
  ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
  ip ospf network point-to-point
  ip ospf cost 10
  ip ospf dead-interval 9
  ip ospf hello-interval 3
  qos pre-classify
  keepalive 3 3
  tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0
  tunnel destination ZZZZ
  tunnel path-mtu-discovery

crypto map CMAP 10 ipsec-isakmp
  set peer ZZZZ
  set transform-set AES-256
  match address CRYPT

6 Replies 6

Hello,

which IOS version(s) are you using ? When you say the sites are connected by WAN links, is that multiple links between the sites and load balancing/load sharing ?

gpauwen,

thanks for the reply.

1. IOS version is 151-4.M8

2. No no multiple links and load balancing involved. The links are only for redundancy. I tried also with physically disconnecting other links and leaving only one connected.

Hi neroshake , This is ISR router . Please check the inspection also check the packet-tracer with the port for ftp & smb... if possible share running config..

Regards ,

Mani

Thanks. Can you please clarify what you mean by "check the packet-tracer with the port for ftp & smb.:? Thanks

Hello,

as Mani suggested, seeing the full configuration would be helpful.

You might want to try and configure your tunnel for transport mode (mode transport).

Thanks. Will try transport mode and let you know.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card