Views
Helpful
Replies

Sub Interfaces on E1

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I need to create two point to point links between two routers connected via E1.

They need to be in separate VRFs for my requirement.

Is there any way I can create that on an E1 interface? Please let me know.

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards

Kaushik.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kaushik,

I have used fractional E1 in the past for this kind of scenario.

you can use fractional E1 for this, under controller e1 you can define more then one channel-group, each of them with different timeslots associated. Two different serial interfaces are generated from this

controller e1 x/y

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-15

channel-group 2 timeslots 17-30

(check the syntax of the commands above it may be different)

this generates two serial interfaces

serx/y:1

serx/y:2

you can associated the first to VRF1 and the second to VRF2 do this on both routers and use appropriate addresses.

To be noted this provides a fixed division of resources ( 64 kbps timeslots) between the two derived serial interfaces.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Hello Kaushik,

thanks for your kind rating.

yes in your case you can split the timeslots in an asymmetrical way to provide more bandwidth to user traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kaushik,

I have used fractional E1 in the past for this kind of scenario.

you can use fractional E1 for this, under controller e1 you can define more then one channel-group, each of them with different timeslots associated. Two different serial interfaces are generated from this

controller e1 x/y

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-15

channel-group 2 timeslots 17-30

(check the syntax of the commands above it may be different)

this generates two serial interfaces

serx/y:1

serx/y:2

you can associated the first to VRF1 and the second to VRF2 do this on both routers and use appropriate addresses.

To be noted this provides a fixed division of resources ( 64 kbps timeslots) between the two derived serial interfaces.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

HI Giuseppe

Thanks a lot for your reply.

One VRF is for management and the other for main traffic. So is it worthile to split timeslots as 1-28 and 29-30 to have the max bandwidth available for the traffic?

Regards

Hello Kaushik,

thanks for your kind rating.

yes in your case you can split the timeslots in an asymmetrical way to provide more bandwidth to user traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot again!

hi Giuseppe

Dec  6 10:12:01.199 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to up

Dec  6 10:12:01.207 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to down

Dec  6 10:12:05.231 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to up

Dec  6 10:12:05.243 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to down

Dec  6 10:12:09.263 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to up

Dec  6 10:12:11.283 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to down

Dec  6 10:12:15.311 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to up

Dec  6 10:12:17.335 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to down

Dec  6 10:12:21.359 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to up

Dec  6 10:12:21.371 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/2/0:1, changed state to down

I created but one of the slots is fluctuating .. at the moment the connection is just back to back; i split the slot as 1-29 and 30-31; should i change the slots to 1-28, 29-31 for bandwidth; could it be a bandwidth issue?

Answered in new thread

in any case the bandwidth should not matter

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card