cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subrate T3 - FIFO or FAIR queueing

Phil Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

I've just setup a 9Mbit/sec subrate T3 and noticed the Serial 1/0 intfc came up with FIFO queueing. Shouldn't this still be FAIR even with the 9meg bandwidth? I have 16 sub-interfaces for frame-relay, but no voice or other fancy services at this time.

Phil

3 Replies 3

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

This document reviews the hierarchical queueing architecture on serial interfaces configured with Frame Relay encapsulation. When configured with Frame Relay Traffic Shaping (FRTS), Frame Relay interfaces support the following queue layers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a4754.shtml

Other participants in the forum may have different perspectives, but I believe that at this bandwidth you do well to let it go FIFO. Especially if there is not voice or other applications that need special treatment. I am not sure that any benefit you would get from fair queue would be worth the processing to evaluate the traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

clsalaza
Level 1
Level 1

fair queuing is the defult only for links below 2Mbs, higher than that the default is fifo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card