Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP7203BXL + 7600-ES+20G3C %C6KENV-SP-2-DFCMISMATCHMINOR

Oerlikon_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Some help please.

I have a bit of a problem in that the DFC for the ES+20G3C line card I have tried to install is incompatible with our 7606 PFC

Sep  6 17:55:52: %SYS-6-EXIT_CONFIG: User psadmin has exited tty session 1(10.64.1.148)

Sep  6 18:00:22: %C6KENV-SP-2-DFCMISMATCHMINOR: Module 2 DFC installed is incompatible with system operating mode. Power denied.

To enable Module 2 DFC, the system must be reset.

WARNING: Any system reset will change the system operating mode which can result in degradation of system performance. To eliminate this from occurring, remove Module 2 DFC or replace with a system compatible DFC.

We are running a Cisco 7606 with a SUP7203BXL.  The line card looks like a 3C

I must have misread the docs - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/data_sheet_c78-49152.html , but I was sure this card was compatible.  The cards only seem to come in 2 flavours, either 3C or 3CXL.  Is the 3CXL the card I need? What are my options?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The reason for your issue is the difference between mode selection on router bootup and on new card installation.

When router boots up it checks all installed modules and choosed highest possible compatible mode.

When router is already running and new card is installed, the card has to choose the mode the router is already in.

As you have SUP7203BXL supervisor installed, I think the router is running at 3BXL for supervisor and all already installed cards. ES+20G3C card cannot choose anything compatible with _XL modes, so is disabled.

The behavior will be different if you reload the whole router with this ES card installed. System mode will be lowered to have all card compatible and between 3BXL and 3C it will make 3B. So the card is compatible with SUP7203BXL but the router has to be reloaded to make it come up. This is also a drop in overall performance to run in 3B.

You are right, the best solution would be to get a ES+20G3CXL card.

Check the table in this doc for understanding on how the mode selection is made on a router bootup:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item09186a00809a7673.shtml#qa1

PS: You can use "show platform hardware pfc mode" command to check the current mode.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The reason for your issue is the difference between mode selection on router bootup and on new card installation.

When router boots up it checks all installed modules and choosed highest possible compatible mode.

When router is already running and new card is installed, the card has to choose the mode the router is already in.

As you have SUP7203BXL supervisor installed, I think the router is running at 3BXL for supervisor and all already installed cards. ES+20G3C card cannot choose anything compatible with _XL modes, so is disabled.

The behavior will be different if you reload the whole router with this ES card installed. System mode will be lowered to have all card compatible and between 3BXL and 3C it will make 3B. So the card is compatible with SUP7203BXL but the router has to be reloaded to make it come up. This is also a drop in overall performance to run in 3B.

You are right, the best solution would be to get a ES+20G3CXL card.

Check the table in this doc for understanding on how the mode selection is made on a router bootup:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item09186a00809a7673.shtml#qa1

PS: You can use "show platform hardware pfc mode" command to check the current mode.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Thanks for clarifying that Ivan.  I believe downgrading to 3B(by reloading) is not an option since the router holds a full BGP internet routing table.

I just wish Cisco would had put a caveat in the docs regarding "Central-forwarding-engine compatibility" explaining this clearly.  This has now put me in a very difficult position.

Welcome! You are right, in such setup 3B is not a good idea.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

I facing problem with 7600-ES+20G3C card which is not getting powered up with RSP720-3GXL-GE,

IOS version of the routers is c7600rsp72043_rp-ADVIPSERVICES_M, version 12.2(33)SRD6

Please find output of Show Module as below,

Hi Pravin

It's likely the ES+ line card is not compatible with the RSP720-3GXL-GE.

Are there any messages indicating why the ES+ card is not powering up?

In my situation I had to reboot the router to get the card recognised.  However this also meant it downgraded the SUP720-3BXL to SUP720-3B.  This means the router can't now hold a full BGP Internet route table(~420,000 routes).

I am getting warning as below,

" WARNING: Any system reset will change the system operating mode which can result in degradation of system performance. To eliminate this from occuring, remove module 9DFC or replace with a system compatible DFC"

As you are saying router can't now hold a full routing tabel, do you mean ES+ card will not hold the internet routing table or

full router will not hold means RSP720-3GXL-GE will not hold the INternet routing tabel. Kindly clarify what will be the capacity of routing tabel.

Hi Pravin

Comparing the product data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8057f3b6.html I suspect if you were to reload the router it will downgrade the RSP from '3CXL' to '3C'.  The RSP itself would then lose the ability to hold a full internet routing table(RIB), holding only up to a maxium of 256,000 routes.  There may be other important features/hardware enhancements you might lose also so best to check the product sheet carefully.

As in my case the ES+ line cards that are 100% compatible are the next model up - 7600-ES+20G3CXL.  Perhaps someone more knowlegable can clarify but I think the compatibility issue is the between the daughter board on the ES+ line cards and the router RSP or SUP engine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card