Views
Helpful
Replies

sw down every night

tmarques87
Level 1
Level 1

hello

I'm having problems with a cisco switch WS-C2960-24TC-L version 12.2 (50) SE5.

every night the equipment goes down, and every morning around 8am comes up.

I know it comes up at 8am because at that time I arrive at my workplace and see the alarm that the switch did not backup the config. ip using his web page and see what's up for a few minutes ...

but I never could discover what time vai below.

is there any way to see??

with the command show logging don't appear the hoursthat came down...he was only following the hours that he came up ...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

4 Replies 4

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

had a similar problem in a bank branch in the Caribbean ..... cleaning staff kept unplugging the switch to plug in a vacuum cleaner.

To answer your question, the only way I am aware of collecting when a device goes down is to use a syslog server. Cisco devices lose all log info once power is lost.

Since you only want info on one specific switch, you could setup your PC or laptop with freeware (Kiwi) and use that to send the logs direct to your own device. It does need both the software installed on your device plus a configuration change on the switch to send the logs to the "server."

Cheers,

Steve

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

hello,

You should start using cacti and monitor you switch.

Its free and easy to install . it keep the history so u can see when you switch rebooted.

It will also help you if you want to monitor and individual interfaces.

Please rate if this is helpful

thanks

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tiago,

We have to find out if the switch went totally off, or whether it somehow became disconnected from the network while still powered. Try using the show version command and check the lines near the beginning of the output that say what is the device uptime and reason for the last reload, so for example:

DistSW-1 uptime is 3 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System restarted at 14:19:14 CEST Mon Aug 27 2012

System image file is "flash:/c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-46.SE.bin"

Here you can see that this switch has been last rebooted over 3 weeks ago and has been continuously in operation ever since, and the last reason for reboot was the reconnection of the power.

What does your switch say?

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly 8 am?

Dude, ive seen this before. And you have issues with you're power source.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card