switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 9
 switchport port-security maximum 2
 switchport port-security
 switchport port-security aging time 20
 switchport port-security violation restrict
 switchport port-security aging type inactivity
 spanning-tree portfast

I have specified maximum 2 mac-address  for phones + PC-A, when i unplug the PC-A and plug in PC-B the PC-B is able to access the network, when i put the mac-address stciky command then only it blocks PC-B and i dont want to put mac-address sticky command.

when i have applied maximum 2 then why it is allowing PC-B to communicate.

thanks

7 Replies 7

Dallas Brown
Level 1
Level 1

This behavior is because without statically mapping the mac address or using sticky the switch doesn't know to block pc-b. The maximum 2 command is telling it that no more than two mac address can be learned on this port but as soon as you unplug pc-a, the dynamically learned address are all dropped(the phone uses cdp to tell the switch that its pc port dropped) and plugging in pc-b brings it back to two addresses so there is no violation. Without static mapping or using sticky, that would't work.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/port_sec.html

Dear dallas

thanks for the reply,

As I have browsed I have seen that aging type and time doesn't work with mac-address sticky , means if I enter the aging time 5 min and type inactivity the port doesn't come up with PC-B it again  goes to the error disable state.

after we get the mac address by mac-address sticky command then copy those mac address and make then static is not a good practice and to configure static for 500 users is a time consuming and lengthy job

so there is no alternate way to have a aging time out and if we connect the another pc it should get access.

For your scenario PC-A and PC-B are always the same? because if they are, you can set the maximum up to 3 and learn the MAC address of the phone and both machines.

And with switchport port-security violation restrict the port should not go to err-disable.

Why do you need to have the aging policy?

Regards.

Rolando Valenzuela.

Dears

Thanks everybody who is replying to my mail but want to be more cleaar on some doubts.

port configured with  mac-address sticky aging time and type does'nt have any effect , they are in effect  with switchport port-security mac-address static XXXX.XXXX etc

So in which scenario we can use aging time and type.

thanks

That is what I would like to know as well, why is the purpose of using aging? maybe we can accomplish the same goal/behavior with another method.

Who many computers do you expect to have on that port, I mean, it is a public port, like in a conference room or something? or is a private one like inside the CEO office?

Regards.

Rolando Valenzuela.

Thanks Ronaldo

i have a ports in a public area hall  where each and every comes and connects his laptop to check internet mail and country government website.

In this situation i want to use a aging time of 1 min if incase a person leaves and another person comes with his laptop so he has to wait for 1 min to get access.

Thanks

Dears,

Anybody can help me for the above query please.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card