cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 over IP - Can it be done and how big a router is needed?

Chris Libby
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible using a Cisco 1921 model router with a T1 WIC to encapsulate the T1 traffic and pass it across IP?  My company and our new parent want to connect our PBX's together, but upgrading to SIP trunking for one switch is prohibitively expensive.  Both PBX's have free T1 slots, but we want to run this traffic across our 10 mb/s IP WAN with our other data.  If this is not possible with a 1921 series, what is the smallest unit that would accomplish this?

The following link is a basic overview of my idea:

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can do that with an e.g: 1861, 2801, 2901. It's called VoIP and you will need a reputable consultant to get it working.

That's doesn't exactly answer my question.  I'm aware and understand VoIP, but in this situation it's not a direct option.  We have an Avaya PBX which runs H.323 and our parent has a Mitel solution running SIP - making the two talking with either SIP trunking or H.323 trunking is prohibitively expensive.  However we have found devices which encapsulate a T1 circuit over IP, and there was some discussion of this being possible using a T1/E1 VWIC and the appropriate router.

This information looks like what I would like to try: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/interface/configuration/guide/hbbfeamo.html

However I'm looking for practical experience from someone who has done this.  Thanks - Chris

T1 VWIC == VoIP. Or you can have T1 one side and VoIP the other. Or you can configure a router to "convert" H.323 to SIP and skip T1 altogether.

Whatever the design, I recommed you pay the "someone that has done this" rather trying yourself to secure long hours of frustraion and loss of service..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card