cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

TenGigE Interface Sometime fault

Hi,

I am facing a problem where my TenGigE interface is sometime down.

Diagram:

ASR1K <----> ASR9K

Log on ASR1K :

.Jan 14 07:56:31 GMT+7: %IOSXE_SPA-6-UPDOWN: Interface TenGigabitEthernet0/2/0, link down due to remote fault

On ASR9K, i don't find any log.

By Shut/Commit and No Shut/Commit on ASR9K, the link resumed to normal.

Any idea?

PS: the fiber path cord is around 5m.

Regards,

CT

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted

There is nothing stupid about this.

10GBase-LR should work fine over a short distance - attenuators may be needed on the recieve side to protect the optics but that's it.

Suggesting that everyone run multi-mode unless they need long range might be a little short sighted.  Many shop's and telco's standardize on single mode so they do not need to carry two types of cable, optics etc.  The cost difference is relatively minor these days.

Your response is not very helpful to the user.

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Community Legend

10GBase-LR should work fine over a short distance - attenuators may be needed on the recieve side to protect the optics but that's it.

Did the OP mentioned that attenuators were ever used?  No he did not.  

Telcos "may" use LR in short distances (they can stock attenuators all over their network) but they are telcos.  They "may" know what they are doing with their optical modules.  

This OP doesn't work for a Telco.  Trying to encourage people not to follow good practices and/or standard because "hey, if the telcos can do it, why can't I" ain't really helpful either.  

The cost difference is relatively minor these days.

To be honest, I disagree.  

Some people here don't have deep pockets.  A lot of people (and their employers) find it difficult to justify going down the Cisco road as opposed to HP or Juniper.  

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Community Legend

It's not just technically stup1d but also financially.

Do you know how much a 10 Gbps LR module costs?

Typically, a 10 Gbps LR modules is DOUBLE the cost of a 10 Gbps SR module. 

Highlighted

Also, one thing I suggest you do is to clean the fiber tips with alcohol.  You may have dirty fiber strands on one side.

HTH

Highlighted

It's a bug as shown here : https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun88935/?referring_site=bugquickviewclick