cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

the configuration is lost when I restart the cisco

unidadso
Spotlight
Spotlight

when I restart the cisco isr 1100, the vpn configuration is lost, I have to apply the copy startup config running config command to show all my router settings

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as correctly guessed by Rick you have a wrong config register value

>> Configuration register is 0x41

that hexadecimal 4  in second position means ignores the startup config at boot.

You should change the config register to the following value

0x2001

try with

conf t

config-register 0x2001

in global config mode and then save the config.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @unidadso ,

Query:

Are only VPN configurations lost or are all device configurations lost?

Regards

I agree that it is good to get clarification about this. If I am understanding the original post correctly it states that they apply the startup config to running config to resolve the issue, which implies that it is not just the vpn part of the config that is lost. Will the original poster please clarify what the problem is.

They symptoms sound like the router might have gone through password recovery which sets the config register to 0x2142 and results in the startup config being ignored. Would the original poster please post the output of show version. At the bottom of the output should be a line which tells the value of the config register.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

good day richard
at the end is the router version

Router#show version
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.08.01
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ISR Software (ARMV8EB_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9_IAS-M),
Version 16.8.1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2018 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 27-Mar-18 10:56 by mcpre

Cisco IOS-XE software, Copyright (c) 2005-2018 by cisco Systems, Inc.
All rights reserved. Certain components of Cisco IOS-XE software are
licensed under the GNU General Public License ("GPL") Version 2.0. The
software code licensed under GPL Version 2.0 is free software that comes
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You can redistribute and/or modify such
GPL code under the terms of GPL Version 2.0. For more details, see the
documentation or "License Notice" file accompanying the IOS-XE software,
or the applicable URL provided on the flyer accompanying the IOS-XE
software.

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON

Router uptime is 16 hours, 6 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 16 hours, 8 minutes
System returned to ROM by Reload Command
System image file is "bootflash:c1100-universalk9_ias.16.08.01.SPA.bin"
Last reload reason: Reload Command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Suite License Information for Module:'esg'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suite Suite Current Type Suite Next reboot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FoundationSuiteK9 FoundationSuiteK9 EvalRightToUse FoundationSuiteK9

securityk9
appxk9

Technology Package License Information:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology Technology-package Technology-package
Current Type Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------
appxk9 None None appxk9
securityk9 None None securityk9
ipbase ipbasek9 None ipbasek9

cisco C1111-8P (1RU) processor with 1456982K/6147K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FGL231413FX
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
32768K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
4194304K bytes of physical memory.
2863103K bytes of flash memory at bootflash:.
0K bytes of WebUI ODM Files at webui:.

Configuration register is 0x41

Hello,

as correctly guessed by Rick you have a wrong config register value

>> Configuration register is 0x41

that hexadecimal 4  in second position means ignores the startup config at boot.

You should change the config register to the following value

0x2001

try with

conf t

config-register 0x2001

in global config mode and then save the config.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

good afternoon thanks for the contribution I actually did it and it really saves me the settings but I don't know what causes the change since the vpn doesn't connect

Hello unidadso,

after reload take the following outputs in two different text files

show run

show conf

and then compare them to see if there is any difference.

Unless you are hitting a SW bug the VPN connections should be able to be setup after reload.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

There is much that we do not know about this situation and that makes it difficult to give good advice. It seems to me that probably there are 2 issues here and they may not be related. The first issue was that the config was getting lost when rebooted. I believe that we have solved that issue by changing the config register. Can the original poster confirm that this part really is solved and that the config is correctly loaded after reboot?

The second issue seems to be that vpn does not connect. Can we find out more about the vpn situation? Has this vpn worked correctly and then stopped working? What kind of vpn is it (site to site vpn or Remote Access vpn)? Can you post the config so that we can see the details of the vpn?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

the vpn is from gateway to gateway with the registry change and it saves the configuration perfectly the problem is when I disconnect from the power source the isr 1100 to vpn with the rgv042g is lost
the process I do is to enter the rgv042g disconnect the vpn and reconnect in manual mode with that process the isr 1100 connects again
activate in the rgv042g Dead Peer Detection Interval 10 seconds to do it automatically but it seems to have no effect
in this order of ideas this should not happen because it should automatically connect in case the 2 devices have their connection

You seem to describe Dead Peer Detection as something that would help to re-establish the vpn if it has gone down. That is not what DPD does. DPD checks to make sure that the remote peer is responding. If the remote peer does not respond within the specified period then DPD will bring the vpn down. Bringing the vpn back up would need to have one of the peers having data that should go through the vpn. What you describe of manually bringing down the vpn on the rv042g and manually bringing it up would generate the required traffic. I believe that what you want is something that would dynamically bring it up rather than needing manual intervention. Is that correct?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is Richard who dynamically resolves that he does not have any type of manual intervention

thanks Giuseppe Larosa I did it with version 0x2102 the configuration is holding it again disconnect the home router with the normal configuration within the tests I could see that indeed the isr cannot connect to the rgv042g it is as if the connection what I did remained in a loop was to manually disconnect the vpn from the rgv042g and immediately the isr1100 was connected

in the cisco rgv042g specify Dead Peer Detection Interval 10 seconds even so I have to do it manual

good morning luis

if everything is lost when executing the copy startup config running running config command resets the configuration but the vpn loses any packet link

abdelaziz.h
Level 1
Level 1

i have the same probleme but just for dsl connection, whene i finish configuration all it's ok

i save configuration

and whene i reboot my router, non connection dsl (initializing)

tks for your help

Hello,

I think the original post was related to a configuration that was partly lost, due to a wrong configuration register setting. Are you actually losing your configuration, or is the DSL link just not connecting ? Either way, post the output of 'sh ver', as well as the running configuration of your ISR...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco