cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tips for multicast noob

wegguli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I work for a very small local ISP.

We offer IPTV to our customers and we are going to change to a different signal.
I would like some tips on how to do the swap with minimal problems.

First off, I would like to point out that I'm an idiot where multicast is concerned.

We have catalyst 4500 acting as our core router and we have currently both multicast sources coming in from our service provider.
The one in production (let's call it vrf 1). I have created second vrf (vrf 2) as sandbox and testing of the new signal.

Both sources come through from their own physical interfaces and those interfaces are tied to vrfs 1 and 2.
Right now both signals work but only from the same vrf the signal is.

So the question is how to switch our current signal to the new one with minimal risk?
My idea was just to delete all the config belonging to the old one and to change all interfaces, vlans, ssm maps etc from vrf 2 to vrf 1 and then change "ip mroute 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" to point to the interface where the new signal is coming.

Is there a safer, better way to handle this? can both signals exist in same vrf without problems? what about mroutes?

Sorry for the possible spelling errors and overall confusion. This is my first time working with multicast.

1 Reply 1

Hello,

can you post what you have currently configured (the full config of the 4500) ? That would make it easier to give useful advice...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card