Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Too much OSPF routing

james.king14
Beginner
Beginner

I have a scenario in which I am kind of stuck and wondering if anyone can give me the best advice on how to accomplish it.

Topology is as below:

WAN setup:

Router[R1] -> connected to Core Switch 1 [CSW1] via 1G Link

Core Switch 1[CSW1] -> Connected to ASA 1 [asa1] via 1G Link

Remote Router[R1-100] -> Connected to ASA 1 [ASA 1] via IPSEC VPN Link

Each router within the WAN has the same OSPF area 0 information.  With different links to each remote site.  Can we use route summarization to ensure connectivity but also stop making the routers use a lot of resources.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
Mentor
Mentor

Hi If each router is in Area 0 then no you cannot summarize as OSPF is a link state protocol and each router must contain the same LSDB

You can filter at the ABR or ABSR with OSPF using the area range or summary-address filters

The only other way is to prevent LSAs going to another router but this will cause routing issues in the same area

In what way is this causing an issue there may be another fix if you can provide further details ?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark Malone
Mentor
Mentor

Hi If each router is in Area 0 then no you cannot summarize as OSPF is a link state protocol and each router must contain the same LSDB

You can filter at the ABR or ABSR with OSPF using the area range or summary-address filters

The only other way is to prevent LSAs going to another router but this will cause routing issues in the same area

In what way is this causing an issue there may be another fix if you can provide further details ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: