cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TRACEROUTE

Ravi Pande
Level 1
Level 1

What is TCP traceroute and how TCP traceroute works?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The basic approach of traceroute is to send some type of probe packet toward the destination and to manipulate the Time to Live so that the packet times out on its way to the destination. From the error messages as the probe times out you can find the path toward the destination. Some types of traceroute (Windows tracert for example) send ICMP packets as the probe. Other types of OS (Cisco IOS routers and switches for example) send UDP as the probe packet. The TCP traceroute sends TCP packets as the probe.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

ICMP TTL exceeded would not be what is displayed to the user running the traceroute. But that is the message that is received in the software as the probes make their way toward the destination.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The basic approach of traceroute is to send some type of probe packet toward the destination and to manipulate the Time to Live so that the packet times out on its way to the destination. From the error messages as the probe times out you can find the path toward the destination. Some types of traceroute (Windows tracert for example) send ICMP packets as the probe. Other types of OS (Cisco IOS routers and switches for example) send UDP as the probe packet. The TCP traceroute sends TCP packets as the probe.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply.

I want to ask in all cases the error message you get is "ICMP:TTL exceeded"?

ICMP TTL exceeded would not be what is displayed to the user running the traceroute. But that is the message that is received in the software as the probes make their way toward the destination.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Okay got it.Thank you so much.

So in all three methods(ICMP,UDP,TCP) the error message is same i.e ICMP TTL exceeded message(through which it comes to know the hop ip address) but the initial packet is diff in all 3 case. 

Am I right?

What you say here is correct.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot.

All doubts got cleared.

I am glad that my explanations were helpful. If all doubts got cleared then perhaps you might want to mark this question as answered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card