cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Capture on 4500

jasongr33nway
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I was wondering if you ca help. I am trying to run a capture on our WAN interface for a certain IP. Every time I try to execute the command I receive "EPC configuration not permitted on standby"

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#monitor capture MYCAP interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2/7 in match ipv4 10.20.222.1/16 any file location bootflash:MYCAP
EPC configuration not permitted on standby

Any idea why?

6 Replies 6

Rich Uline
Level 1
Level 1

Jason,

From the hostname of your device, I presume you are working on a 4500-X in a VSS configuration. In this scenario, you should be performing all management interactions via the primary supervisor. How are you connecting to this device; is it in-band via ssh or out of band such as with a console cable? If the former, then please check the health of your VSS to ensure it is functioning properly. If the latter, then please check if you are connected to the primary supervisor.

I am connecting via ssh and yes it is a vss config. I am not too familiar with vss adn I thought that managing from the second switch is more than likely the issue, I am at this moment not sure how to connect to the correct supervisor.

OK so this is what I found.

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#sh switch virtual redundancy

Executing the command on VSS member switch role = VSS Active, id = 2

My Switch Id = 2
                Peer Switch Id = 1
        Last switchover reason = user forced
    Configured Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover
     Operating Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover

Switch 2 Slot 11 Processor Information :
-----------------------------------------------
        Current Software state = ACTIVE
                 Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch  Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(3)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 14-Jan-16 10:32 by prod_rel_team
                          BOOT = bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.07.03.E.152-3.E3.bin,12;bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin,1;
        Configuration register = 0x2102
                  Fabric State = ACTIVE
           Control Plane State = ACTIVE

Switch 1 Slot 1 Processor Information :
-----------------------------------------------
        Current Software state = STANDBY HOT (switchover target)
                 Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch  Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(3)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 14-Jan-16 10:32 by pr
                          BOOT = bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.07.03.E.152-3.E3.bin,12;bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin,1;
        Configuration register = 0x2102
                  Fabric State = ACTIVE
           Control Plane State = STANDBY

Executing the command on VSS member switch role = VSS Standby, id = 1

show virtual switch redundancy is not supported on the standby

Tried to verify I am I am connected to the Active switch

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#remote login module 11
% Already on module 11

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#remote login module 1  
Connecting to standby virtual console
Type "exit" or "quit" to end this session

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS-standby-console#exit

Doesn't look I can run the command from either one

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#monitor capture MYCAP interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2/7 in match ipv4 10.20.222.1/16 any file location bootflash:MYCAP
ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS#remote login module 1                                                                                                  
Connecting to standby virtual console
Type "exit" or "quit" to end this session

ROPS-M0-A2-2-4500X-VSS-standby-console#monitor capture MYCAP interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2/7 in match ipv4 10.20.222.1/16 any file location bootflash:MYCAP

Any ideas?

Jason,

Your VSS looks OK, but I still wouldn't rule out VSS quirkiness. Is it possible to physically connect to the console port of the active switch? If you can and issuing the ECP command still fails, then I would contact Cisco TAC.

Thanks for all your help. Same error even consoled in. Ticket is opened with TAC.

Any resolution on this issue?  I just tried to do this on my 4500 VSS and I'm getting the same error message.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card