Views
Helpful
Replies

TRAFFIC NOT FLOWING

Amos Kafwembe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have a crazy situation. i have a gateway router going to the internet....using public IP addresses on both interfaces. starting on monday, traffic would suddenly stop flowing from the inside of the network going out, though i can still ping the outside interface  , but when I login to the router I am able to ping to the internet. so its like traffic is not passinf from the outside int to the inside int. I have a 3900 router. other thing is, when i restart the router it will work for some time and then just stop again....

6 Replies 6

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Amos,

I think you need to supply a bit more information before we can get to the bottom of this. The next time it happens can you do the following:

1. Traeroute / ping from PC on internal nework to 8.8.8.8

2. Traeroute / ping from router to 8.8.8.8

3. "Show ip route" on router

4. "Show run" on router.

5. "Show ip interface brief"

Just to reiterate you should do all this when it is in the failed state before you restart it. Record the output an post it here.

Hello

First thing is to ask has anything been changed?

You say you can ping from the router to the Internet - so does mean you cannot do the same scr from your lan facing interface? -  has any NAT statment's been modified?

As with the suggestion Amos has requested can you so the run config of you router and some NAT translation table  ( if applicable)

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

hello.

i discovered my router cpu process was reaching 100% i changed the router and it worked well. now to resolve why it was reaching 100% is the challenge.

Hello

Is the replacement router running the same ios train?

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Update IOS and check again.

Hi Amos,

Can you post the below commands from the problematic router.

show proc cpu history

show proc cpu sorted

show logg

show memory

show ver

show interface

And also check the interface for high utilzation, if this is due to high utilization then check the source of the high utilization.

Above command can tell you what is the cause for the CPU spiked.

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card