Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic shape

mustafa.basim85
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have to implement traffic shaping in cisco switch 6509  but i can't find this command "traffic-shape group " in interface mode also this command "Router(config-if)#service-policy output QS1" is showing this error:
shape average command is not supported for this interface

My IOS version is (s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXI5.

can anyone help me?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

it appears that shaping on the 6509 is limited to only a few interfaces. What are you trying to accomplish, and what interface are you trying to apply the policy to ?

View solution in original post

Hello,

what you can accomplish on the 6509 with regard to shaping depends on the supervisor and the line cards installed. Post the output of 'show version' as well as your configuration and indicate which interface you want to do the shaping on. That said, most likely you can only accomplish policing...

Here is an example:

policy-map POLICE_OUT
 class class-default
  police cir 256000

interface GigabitEthernet1/0
 service-policy output POLICE_OUT

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

it appears that shaping on the 6509 is limited to only a few interfaces. What are you trying to accomplish, and what interface are you trying to apply the policy to ?

Hello,

i try to accomplish the traffic shaping on GigabitEthernet interfaces

Hello,

what you can accomplish on the 6509 with regard to shaping depends on the supervisor and the line cards installed. Post the output of 'show version' as well as your configuration and indicate which interface you want to do the shaping on. That said, most likely you can only accomplish policing...

Here is an example:

policy-map POLICE_OUT
 class class-default
  police cir 256000

interface GigabitEthernet1/0
 service-policy output POLICE_OUT

dear gpauwen ,

it's working now.

thanks for your help.

Hi Georg,

As soon as I configere this and look at the results I will see this:

Policy Map Test
  Class class-default
    police cir 186000000 bc 5812500
     conform-action transmit
     exceed-action drop

The exceed-action is not as I like.

Our situation:
Cisco 6509
Supervisor VS-SUP2T-10G (module 5) with VS-F6K-PFC4 and VS-F6K-MSFC5
IOS s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY9.bin
Interface Gi5/2
Connection to our offices (IP-VPN / MPLS) bandwith 200Mbps
Our service provider (KPN) will see many drops, we use average < 50Mbps so the bandwith is no problem. Only small bursts wil be dropt by KPN.

On all our offices we configered traffic shaping (shape average) without drops (and resends). We like this also on our datacenter.

Is this possible?

Vincent,

when you configure:

police cir 186000000 bc 5812500 conform-action transmit exceed-action transmit violate-action drop

do you still see the drops ?

Is this possible?

Sure, you just need to use a device that supports shaping.  ;)

I recall the old (EoL) FlexWAN line cards used to support shaping.  I don't recall any other line cards, or sups, at least on the Catalyst 6x00 series, supporting shaping.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card