cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shaping on 3560E and 4948-10GE

Benso2013
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of 3560E switches running c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE10a.bin (IPServices) and I've been trying to configure class based shaping for a couple of days now without any luck. The Cisco navigator website claims Class based shaping is supported on the 3560E platform but I'm starting to think that's false information. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also trying to acquire a couple of 4948-10GE switches. Same question for the 4948 switch. Has anyone successfully configured Traffic Shaping on them? I'm trying a simple configure like the following:

class-map match-any CLASS_SLAP
 match access-group name CLASS_SLAP_ACL

policy-map POLICY_SLAP
 class CLASS_SLAP
  shape average 8000000  <----------------------------------------Shape command missing from switch. I can police but not shape.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 service-policy output POLICY_SLAP

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Benso2013  '

I have configured Policy based routing on 3750 Switch & successfully restrict customer bandwidth according to their package.

The way I have configured policy based routing is given below. May be it can helpful for you.

First of all I have configured Policy map. for Example.

policy-map test

then I have configured Extended numbered ACL.

access-list 100

permit ip host 10.19.1.100 any

permit ip any host 10.19.1.100

then I have configured class-map for.

class-map match-all test-customer

match access-group 100

then go to Policy-map and police the traffic.

policy-map test

class test-customer

police 1000000 256000 exceed action drop

& finally assigned that policy-map to a particular interface, for example.

int gig 1/0/1

service-policy input test.

You can modify the configuration according to your scenario.

Regards'

Thanks for the reply.

I have  tried your suggested configuration already and that works but I have a requirement to shape instead of police. 

Hey Benso2013  

Until now, I didn't shaped traffic,I can't give you any idea about it, so may be someone can help you.

Regards'

I don't recall either a 3560 (including the G/E/-X variants) or a 4848 (including the -10G variant) supporting policy shaping.

The 3560 series should support shaping at its hardware egress queue(s) or support "shaping" at its physical egress port.  (The latter is a bit inexact, I also recall [?] it may not be supported on all ports, but you can implement a hierarchy like policy using the 4 egress queues, one per "class".)

BTW, I believe the newer 3650 and 3850 support shaping.

Joseph, 

You are right about the newer 3850. I have a bunch of the newer 3850's in our live environment and yes, they do support class based shaping. But the 3560 and 4948 are to be used in a lab environment. Going on the information supplied by the Cisco Feature Navigator, I purchased these switches as a low end alternative but it doesn't look like they support shaping unless I'm missing something. 

I'm hoping to find someone who has successfully configured the shaping command one of these switches. 

Thanks for all the input guys.

Well, again, on the 3560/3750 you can shape hardware egress queues and/or shape (most kinds of) the egress port; just not using a QoS policy.  You need to use interface commands.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you might be able meet your shaping requirements on your 3560; the configuration, though, will "look" much different.

I don't recall there being any shaping support on the 4948 series.

Understood but for CM reason's, I was trying to keep the configurations the same on both the 3560/4948 and the 3850's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card