cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic shaping per ip address

GiorgiChubko
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if it is possible to shape traffic per ip address. I have network around 200 users(just 192.168.1.0/24), and i want to shape traffic 100 Kb per user ? Is there any elegant way to do this, without making 200 ACL, and 200 class map ???

3 Replies 3

bogpsycho
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Giorgi ! I've also posted this question on this forum, too. I 've been using WebHTB as a solution for this kind of matters sine 2009 and is working quite well. It's the cheapest solution for this kind of job. I installed webhtb on a CentOS server that has "ip forwarding" enabled and at this moment I have more than 500 clients "shaped". And it's not a resources consumer. I use a computer with an Intel P4 at 2.4 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, an 80 Gb hard drive and two NIC's. And the CPU its lower than 10 % with over 75 % of clients connected all the time.  With Cisco it will cost cost a lot more than my solution. And by the way, WebHTB is free. This is the link: http://webhtb.nethd.ro/.

Hello bogpsycho,

Thank you for help. Your solution seems quite interesting. What is total amount of shaped  bandwidth, in your case ? 
I actually would like to know cisco implementation of this.

I had also wanted to use a cisco solution for this. Nobody gave me a straight answer, so I started to search and I discovered that the financial costs were to high for me. And now, returning to your question, the total bandwidth I manage with WebHTB is 100 MB. I mention that I use different settings for different clients. You can set up the download, the upload, with different bandiwidth options for different clients. The WebHTB server is behind a Cisco 3550 L3 Switch. On the switch I do BGP routing with my ISP. The switch receives a default route for the international traffic and a full routing table for national traffic. I believe, in this way, I have achieved best results with minimal financial costs. Also, study this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html. I received this link from a forum member.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card