Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunked etherchnnel only coming up as 10gb

faghouri83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

Im currently configuring some trunks where im pairing the two 10gb interfaces on my two 2960X switches via etherchannel. These will of course be trunked to allow all vlans. Ive configured them as trunks and ive etherchanneled the ports together via port-channel 1. The problem I have is, that when i do a show interface port-channel command i only see it coming up as 10gb. Should this not be showing up as 20gb since both ports are in port-channel 1? 

thanks

faheem

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Faheem,

That is the correct behavior. The Portchannel will have 2 10Gig ports in it.  Creating a Portchannel with 2 10Gig in it does not mean you will have a 20Gig Portchannel.  Remember with Portchannel the maximum speed is the speed of the physical interface which is 10Gig in your case.  The 2 10Gig interfaces in a Portchannel provider load balancing for you, as one packet can enter one of the physical interfaces and another packet can use the other interface. Of course the load balancing is not usually 50/50 and could be 70/30 or 80/20.  Think of Portchannle being a highway with multiple lanes.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card