Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking VLANs

MrPrince1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I’m configuring an 881 router to trunk 3 vlans (50,60 & 70) to a Cisco 1142 AP, vlan 50 being native. When I punch in the switchport trunk allowed vlan command and specify the vlans I want included I get:

‘Command rejected: Bad VLAN allowed list. You have to include all default vlans…etc’

Is understand that I have to allow all vlans across the trunk, but isn’t that a security risk? I have other vlans on that router that I don’t want trunked anywhere. Am I being overly worried? Is there a way around this, perhaps layering extra security on top etc.

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

small business routers don't force trunks to carry all vlans they just force trunks to carry all the default VLAN's which are 1 and 1002-1005. For security reasons you should not use VLAN1 for host connectivity in the first place and you can't use VLAN 1002-1005 for host connectivity.

So with the command I provided you only allow VLAN's 1,50,60,70,1002-1005 and this command works just fine on a Cisco 881 router

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mwhitlow
Level 1
Level 1

Oliver,

You have the right idea by not wanting to send anymore vlans than necessary.

Is your 1142 running in autonomous or LWAPP mode?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. The 1142 is running in autonomous mode. The router in question is a perimiter router with my "inside" network being a VLAN in itself. I don't really want that network being trunked anywhere it doesn't need to go.

Thanks.

I don't have an 881 on my network but I do have Cisco access points running in autononomous mode on trunked ports. Here is a sample of one of them.

interface FastEthernet0/1

description AUTONONOMOUS AIR

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 11

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,11,14,16,30-32

switchport mode trunk

end

Does this help?

Yep, that's what I'd like to do but when I enter the command to limit the allowed VLANs the switch tells me I have to allow them all.

In your example it looks like vlan 11 is your management network and the rest of your allowed vlans are wireless networks?

That is correct. VLAN 11 would be the native and the network that the wireless AP itself is on. The other vlans are the VLANs for the various SSIDs. VLAN 1 is legacy and could probably be removed.

Sometimes the IOS can be pickey about the order the trunk commands are put in.  Try playing with that and see if it makes a difference.

jgraafmans
Level 1
Level 1

You need to include all default vlan's which are 1,1002-1005

So your command should be: switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,50,60,70,1002-1005

Thanks jgraafmans, I understand what the command would be but my question relates more to the security ramifications of trunking vlans where they don't need to go etc. I know its best practice to limit the vlans on any trunk to those that need to be trunked, what kind of exposure am I facing when trunking every vlan?

Shame that the small business routers force trunks to carry all vlans.

Thanks.

small business routers don't force trunks to carry all vlans they just force trunks to carry all the default VLAN's which are 1 and 1002-1005. For security reasons you should not use VLAN1 for host connectivity in the first place and you can't use VLAN 1002-1005 for host connectivity.

So with the command I provided you only allow VLAN's 1,50,60,70,1002-1005 and this command works just fine on a Cisco 881 router

I’m sorry I missed that important detail in your post!

So I’ve shutdown vlan 1 on the router and baring certain management traffic that still flows over vlan 1, with the command you provided:

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,50,60,70,1002-1005

Really I’m only actually trunking the vlans I want. I didn’t realize that you can't use VLAN 1002-1005 for host connectivity.

This is great news, it alleviates my worries trunking vlans I don’t want being trunked. I’ll try the command tonight and post back the ‘Corrected Answer’

Thanks.

Yup, works great, thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card