cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to TFTP the running config from a 6506 running CAT)S

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6506 with Supe 2. Trying to copy off the running config to my TFTP server. Used command "copy config tftp all" then responded with the IP address of the TFTP server and confirmed that I wanted the name to be myswitch.cfg

I then got a series of output lines with periods.

After 7 partial screen lines of dots, I go the message that there was no reponse from host. I watched my TFTP server and there was no activity (no attempts to connect, no failures).

Exact messages:

No reponse from host.

TFTP connection fail(-1)

file tftp:myswitch.cfg cannot be opened for write (TFTP write error)

Cannot write buffer to file

Cannot copy from config: to tftp:myswitch.cfg

I confirmed via ping that the CAT 6506 as able to reach the TFTP server

Jeff

21 Replies 21

OK, Im showing my ignorance with CATOS.

I have a config on the switch. I have added IP addresses, VLANs, etc. The normal stuff.

That is what I am trying to TFTP off the switch.

This information must be stored somewhere and I assumed it was called myswitch.cfg (as that was the default name that came up when I issued the TFTP command).

So, please educate me....where is the startup config and running config stored and what are they called?

The commands all depend on the version of CatOS - the below link will help out:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

HTH>

Nothing as simple as:

copy running-config tftp

copy startup-config tftp

then follow the prompts?

Those commands are IOS - not CatOS.

Andrew - the link that you sent is for Cat 4ks and 4500s.

Below is a cut and paste from the Cat 6500 Series Configuration Guide using CATOS Relase 6.x

Uploading a Configuration File to a TFTP Server

To upload a configuration file from a switch to a TFTP server for storage, perform these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Log into the switch through the console port or a Telnet session.

Step 2 Upload the switch configuration to the TFTP server with the copy config tftp command. Specify the IP address or host name of the TFTP server and the destination filename.

The file is uploaded to the TFTP server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This example shows how to upload the running configuration to a TFTP server for storage:

Console> (enable) copy config tftp

IP address or name of remote host []? 172.20.52.3

Name of file to copy to []? cat6000_config.cfg

Upload configuration to tftp:cat6000_config.cfg, (y/n) [n]? y

/

Configuration has been copied successfully.

Console> (enable)

There are only 2 differences between what is above and what I am doing. First, I am using the command copy config tftp all. This will copy both the default and non-defualt configurations. The second is the name of the file to copy to on the tftp server. The examples shows cat6000_config.cfg. I was just using the default filename of myswitch.cfg

Jeff

Jeff,

Just had one of those thoughts! Now recall seeing similar symptoms before but tftp was from IOS. The problem was that machine with the tftp server had Windows firewall enabled. Worth checking?

Don

Don -

Thanks, but no joy. Firewall is disabled and confirmed by the fact that I was able to TFTP from the other 18 devices in my lab to the same TFTP server. Thanks for the thought.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card