Views
Helpful
Replies

Two ABRs between two OSPF areas for redundancy

Kaushik Ray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to put two ABRs between two OSPF areas for redundancy purposes. I am just new to OSPF and would be grateful if someone can share their views on this or pass on any document which explains advantages and disadvantages of such a setup.

Many Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Yes this is completely possible.You mainly do this load balancing and redundancy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

There are some resources that suggest that to simplify OSPF that you have only a single ABR per area. And some discussions of OSPF stub and totally stub suggest having a single ABR for an OSPF area. I do not agree with these. I believe that any OSPF area with a single ABR is an OSPF area with a significant single point of failure. I advocate that OSPF area should have at least two ABR.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Yes this is completely possible.You mainly do this load balancing and redundancy

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Just remember the costs will run the same way, as with only one ABR, but with one exception if the ABRs are connected by non backbone links they will prefer the most direct path to Area O always.

There are some resources that suggest that to simplify OSPF that you have only a single ABR per area. And some discussions of OSPF stub and totally stub suggest having a single ABR for an OSPF area. I do not agree with these. I believe that any OSPF area with a single ABR is an OSPF area with a significant single point of failure. I advocate that OSPF area should have at least two ABR.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As noted by the other, yes it's possible.  And agreeing with Rick, having only a single ABR creates a single point of failure.

Disadvantages include need for additional ABRs and the "gotchas" that you can run into.  With a single ABR, there's only a single ingress/egress point for the area, but with multiple ABRs, then you have all the issues related to which will be used.  It's very easy to fall into suboptimal path selection.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I was trying to find some documents regarding this as well. Can you please share the link as well if you have one in hand?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card