cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two routers same Ip address.

SRIDHARBHARATH
Level 1
Level 1

hello, can I be able to provide same IP address to two routers which are connected.They may be sub interface or Vlan interface also.please if there is a way help me.

5 Replies 5

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Sri,

you may try ip unnumbered command, I am not sure what is your purpose. Please check the link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/hot-standby-router-protocol-hsrp/13786-20.html

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

hey SHRI, your question is not really clear. 

Maybe you have two different routers like ISP1(R1), ISP2(R2), when ISP1 goes down then you have to disconnect the LAN cable and attached it to ISP2 wich have the same ip address as ISP1(R1).

you want to automatically use both ip address. 

the solution is to used VRRP or HSRP(cisco only equipment). with it you can use the same gateway and two different equipment. 

If is not your case, input the correct problem.

Regards,

Fogemart

+5 

2 routers can share the same IP address by using HSRP/VRRP. This is usually done to provide redundancy on Data Centers and other large networks.

Thanks,

Frank

Yo have GLBP too

Neeraj Arora
Level 3
Level 3

2 Routers connected to each other, with same Ip address....why do you wanna do that? How would you differentiate between them, how would routing be accomplished?

And No, you cannot have same Ip address on multiple devices in a single Network Segment. You would start receiving Duplicate Ip address messages in the router's log.

For 2 Routers to be connected, they need to be in the same Subnet Eg. 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2/24

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card