Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 WAN Speeds

askthefool
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a UC520, which is believe has a 100mpbs WAN port. My ISP provides me a 50mbs down / 5 mbs up connection.

When I plug my laptop directly into my cable modemn using DHCP and run a speed test, it connects at 1GBps and speed tests show I'm getting 48mbps down / 5mpbs up -- pretty close to my tier speeds.

When I send internet through the UC520 (also configured to use DHCP) my speed tests show a max download of 24mbs / 5mbps up. Does this make sense? I thought since my ISP connection was below the 100mpbs WAN port on the UC520 I would have no slowdown accessing the internet, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Please let me know what I'm missing, or if this makes sense.

I'm pretty new to Cisco and networking in general so I appreciate your guys help.

Thanks in advance.

Ash

2 Replies 2

plumbis
Level 7
Level 7

The way platforms like the UC520 forward packets is via the central CPU. When you are running your speed test what is the CPU load on the UC520? Is the CPU high? What kind of features are you using (like NAT, ACLs, Zone Based Firewall)? Each feature takes a few extra resources.

Finally, I'd check with the reseller you purchased your UC520 from to see what kind of performance you should expect from the device. I don't have any idea of what the limitations of the UC520 are.

pheidema
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a UC520 on a Comcast 50 Mbps circuit and have no problems pushing 50 Mbps consistently through it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card