cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to communicate across router

Minuit
Level 1
Level 1

Set up two dummy networks so that i can use them in my coursework for testing however i cannot get the two to communicate currently. They are set up with ipv6.

These are the commands ive used. Thanks in advance

R0(config)#interface fastethernet0/0 R0(config-if)#ipv6 enable R0(config-if)#ipv6 address 2000::1/64 R0(config-if)#no shutdown

The first network will use addresses starting from 2000:1::/64 and the second network will use addresses starting from 2000:2::/64. The link between both the routers will have IP addresses 2001::10/64 and 2001::20/64.

Device

Interface

IP address

R1

FastEthernet0/0

2000:1::1/64

FastEthernet0/1

2001::10/64

PC0

FastEthernet

2000:1::2/64

PC1

FastEthernet

2000:1::3/64

R2

FastEthernet0/0

2000:2::1/64

FastEthernet0/1

2001::20/64

PC2

FastEthernet

2000:2::2/64

PC3

FastEthernet

2000:2::3/64

R1(config)#ipv6 unicast-routing R1(config)#ipv6 route 2000:2::/64 2001::20

R2(config)#ipv6 unicast-routing R2(config)#ipv6 route 2000:1::/64 2001::10

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I have been able to open your file (in Packet Tracer 7.1). Your PCs do not have an IPv6 default gateway configured, so they cannot get out of the local subnet...

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

DaSt-1986
Level 1
Level 1
Please provide more details; what do you mean with 'not communicating correctly'? Do you receive ARP replies; are your routing tables filled? Please post a readable config file so we can see the nature of your problem.

As in according to packet tracer they are UP but i cannot ping or tracert and im unsure how i check results for simple PDU's

Hello,

you mention two routers, but you have posted partial configurations of three routers (R0, R1, R2). What is connected to what, which PCs to which routers, which networks to which routers ?

Check the below for a sample configuration of three routers with IPv6 and static routing:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-version-6-ipv6/113361-ipv6-static-routes.html

Apologies, this was partly copied from my document. r2 is r1 main routers are r0 and r1.

This is how it looks in packet tracer

https://i.imgur.com/470wg0R.png

If you do this in Packet Tracer, post the .pkt file (save it as pkt then rename it to jpg, otherwise you cannot upload...)

I'm looking at your network topology (which is missing interface names...) and the configuration you posted (which has wrong router names) and cannot see anything that might be wrong. Please post the packet tracer file or give us the output of the following commands for both routers: 

show ipv6 route
show run int fa0/0
show run int fa0/1

I've created this myself and it seems to be working (see attached packet tracer file, rename to .pkt)

This is it here, tried the version you posted but it said the version i was using was not compatible

I am going to take us a step back here in-order to see what exactly is failing.

Is the problem you are facing one that the PC cannot ping through the router to the remote end? How have you configured IPv6 on the PC's in your topology. From the screenshot i see pings failing from a PC and not from a router. Are you using SLAAC to configure the PC's of DHCPv6? Are the IPv6 flags esp the on-link flag configured correctly on the router?  I could be getting this wrong but if you can advise a few things..

1. Can the routers ping each others directly connected interfaces

2. Can the routers ping each others remote IPv6 interface the ones the PCs connect to

3. How have you configured addressing on the PC's

4. Can the PC's ping their own default router

T

The Ip's are static.

PC to PC works within the its own subnet.

Yes

IP's are static and the ip's are as i left in my orginal post

Yes

Hello,

I have been able to open your file (in Packet Tracer 7.1). Your PCs do not have an IPv6 default gateway configured, so they cannot get out of the local subnet...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card