Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ssh/telnet cisco router

sayast001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 3845 router. I am unable to login thid router. There was no changes made in configuration however when i am trying getting the error,

ssh : connecting to host x.x.x.x port 22:connection refused. i tried re generating the key but no luck. current IOS is Version 15.0(1)M7.

Thanks

Soumya

8 Replies 8

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Can you post the config please?

Soumya

When I see a post about problems with telnet/SSH access to a router I usually start by thinking about problems with basic IP connectivity. But if you are getting an error that the connection was refused that pretty well establishes that your request got to the router and the response got back to you. So it looks like IP connectivity is not the issue.

I am not quite clear whether telnet/SSH used to work and stopped or that they have not ever worked. Can you clarify this?

There are several reasons why the telnet/SSH might be refused.

- perhaps there is an access class configured on the vty that is not allowing your source address.

- perhaps the vty have been configured with access protocols that do not include telnet/SSH.

- perhaps the vty have been configured with no exec.

- perhaps there is some device, such as a firewall, between your host and the router that is filtering traffic and not allowing telnet/SSH.

Most of these possibilities could be resolved if you would post the config of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

Access class is configured in VTY however the source IP is allowed.We have a firewall in between source IP as well as Router but access permitted here as well. This access was working fine and suddenly it started causing this issue.

Soumya

Soumya

Thank you for the additional information. It is good to know that access did work and then stopped. It is also good to know that access class is configured on the vty and that it does permit the source address.

I suggest that some testing might help us to figure out what is the problem. I suggest that you run debug ip ssh, attempt ssh access, and post any debug output. If there is debug output then it confirms that the ssh request did get to the router and might indicate the reason why the ssh fails. If there is no debug output then it suggests that the ssh request did not get to the router and that is the direction to look to find the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Vignesh Rajendran Praveen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Soumya,

Kindly provide the running configuration from the device.

T&R,

Vignesh R P

cmarchionni
Level 1
Level 1

Can tuo post tour config ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I hope some more people post an answer requesting the config. We don't have enough of those.

Please share config to resolve issue.

Also do mention from what source u re trying to access router.

Jawad

Jawad
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card