cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to trunk Cisco 2960-X to Sonicwall NSA3600

INERTLOGIC
Level 1
Level 1

Having what is likely a simple issue, but all day overwhelmed by it.  New 2960x switch, configured out of the box using Express setup to an IP address of 192.168.4.16.  Attempting to connect to a LAN interface (XO) on Sonicwall NSA3600.  I can get a dynamic IP when I connect my laptop to this XO port, but as soon as I connect it to my trunked port on the Cisco it goes silent.  Cannot ping either device over the trunk, but if I unplug from the router (and plug into switch) I can reach the interface on the switch.  If I unplug from the switch, and plug in the router I can get to the interface on the router.  In short, the two devices cannot "see" one another.  Problem doesn't exist if I just plug in a non-layer2 switch.  All on single VLAN(1). Help!

---------------------

Attached is the configuration of the trunked port in question on the 2960.  HUGE THANKS GUYS!

CATALYST-2960X>show int gi1/0/1 switchport
Name: Gi1/0/1
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Voice VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q
Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk associations: none
Administrative private-vlan trunk mappings: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL
Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001
Capture Mode Disabled
Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Protected: false
Unknown unicast blocked: disabled
Unknown multicast blocked: disabled
Appliance trust: none

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

just to cover the basics, is SVI VLAN 1 enabled/no shutdown and has a L2 GW configured?

interface vlan 1

no shutdown

ip default-gateway 192.168.4.x?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Your sonicwall XO interface is a LAN interface right? I'm not very familiar with sonicwall devices.

Anyway, why are you trying to configure the switch interface facing the sonicwall as a trunk interface? I believe, based on your input, that this sonicwall interface is not a trunk.

If you really want to use vlan 1 (that's not recommended), put the switch interface facing sonicwall as access port in vlan 1, then plug your laptop into another access port in vlan 1 and you should be able to get an IP from your sonicwall dhcp server.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

just to cover the basics, is SVI VLAN 1 enabled/no shutdown and has a L2 GW configured?

interface vlan 1

no shutdown

ip default-gateway 192.168.4.x?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco