Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3750 stack without rebooting switches

monasir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are in the middle of the process to upgrade a cisco 3750 stack which contains 6 members.

What is the best upgrade procedure while upgrading the stack for minimum downtime.

Could i either use the .BIN file or the TAR file.

Because i would prefer to upgrade the switches manualy one by one i do not want that the complete stack reboots.

Any help is appreciated.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. here is the stack upgrae proceedure.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html

2. read the relase notes and understand the caveats.

3, take the configuration out of the box.

4. each one take 10-15 boot time, depends on model of 3750

What is the best upgrade procedure while upgrading the stack for minimum downtime.

BB- there is downtime always, no other option here. check point 4.

BB - depends on requirement, i suggest archieve installation, but if you do not need GUI, then  .bin should be good.

Because i would prefer to upgrade the switches manualy one by one i do not want that the complete stack reboots.

BB - Suggest to  Copy image to master switch, from there copy to all the members, change the boot variable and reload all stack.

make sure you connect console cable and observe the logs any issues around.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your reply?
What exactly do you mean with whit this point?

--> Suggest to Copy image to master switch, from there copy to all the members, change the boot variable and reload all stack

Martin L
VIP
VIP

let us know how  it went

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@monasir wrote:

This question is asked by someone who is not familiar with upgrading the firmware of the appliance.  And my response will always be "TAR".  

Read the Release Notes very, very carefully because it will provide the correct upgrade procedure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card