cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upload download speeds

ssbmcmanus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a synchronous 10 Mb connection to my isp which I have conneted to a CISCO asa 5510. I have done a lot of testing and there is a very noticable difference in my upload/dowload speeds.

When I connect a laptop directly to the Cable from my ISP's equipment and have the NIC set to autosense, I get similair results for Download/Upload Speeds I have tested and get 9 plus down and 8 plus up.

When I either connect the asa directly to this cable and set to either 100/Full or autosense OR I place a non-managed switch in between the asa and the ISP's equipment My upload speed drops dramataically.    The Download speed stays about the same 8 Mb Plus  but my upload falls off the face of the earth drops to about a 1Mb. I have noticed this many times when I am going from a cisco 800 series router to a Cisco ASA.This is severely limiting my ability to perform replication out from my locale. Is there any work around or suggestions?

7 Replies 7

clamasters
Level 1
Level 1

Is the ASA interface coming up 100/Full?  Typically when I see this it's a duplex issue of sorts.

No I have made sure that interface is set to duplex and have seen it show full form sho int command. I have set it to Auto with the same results again.

I work in the Tri-state area and normally would see this where we would do cuts over to Light_path. My normal remedy of placing a small non managed switch between the two pieces of equipment has failed me. Undertsand that it appears to be a duplex mismatch issue but I am scrathing my head on this one

Using the show interface command, do you see any errors, CRCs or drops?

Are there any error logs on the ASA when you are uploading/downloading from the web?

I suggest that you consult these two ASA troubleshooting guides:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8982

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12439#comment-6995

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

Guys thank for you inputs,

I have tested some other things, I looked at those best practices posted by Sean and even tried the  the mss-exceed allow fix that I have used on dhcp Cable modems plugged into ASA(s) and still the same results. No Http in the inspect protocols,There are  no CRC error or runts Giants etc. I tried something just to confirm its a Cisco thing. I configured and setup a  Sonic wall in the DMZ, plugged into same un-managed switch that my asa is plugged into and I was able to get same download and same upload speeds 6 Mbs up and 6Mbs down.

Definetly something on the Cisco side but especially an ASA issue.

I can't be the only one to have these issue with ASA

THX again

johncarync
Level 1
Level 1

This thread is over a year old but I found it because I had the same problem: Download speed--close to the bandwidth promised; Upload speed--nowhere near what was promised. Here's how I solved it (thanks to sean_evershed's first ASA troubleshooting guide link):

The problem was NOT between the fiber modem and the firewall. The problem was between the firewall and the switch. Our switch was set to autonegotiate. I logged into the website interface for the switch and changed the speed on the port to 100 full duplex. This immediately tripled the speed of uploads nearly matching our download speed.

-John

John,

Very nice experience - thank you for sharing that with us! Indeed, these duplex mismatches can hugely impact the efficiency of TCP transfers.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card