cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Console Driver install failing

dervari
Level 1
Level 1

Running Windows 7 64-bit and the USB driver install is failing.  Well, the setup program runs ok and reboots, but when I connect to a USB console, it installs the Console driver ok but fails on "Cisco Virtual Comm Port00".  I've tried this on multiple machines as administrator and still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

46 Replies 46

TC2013
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a similar issue. However my install goes without a problem. When I connect the USB to Mini USB it is detected and Windows reports it back as installed correctly. However its not a serial port. Please see below image from Dev MGR.

I am both local and domain admin and installed the driver whilst logged in as admin.

I have tried to update the drivers both automatically and manually without success. It works fine in an install of vista but that machine is on its way out. Luckily I have a USB-Serial convertor and an old console cable kicking about so have a work around for the initial config.When connect with my prolific USB-Serial and console cable and I plug in the usb-mini usb I see this on the switches console:

.Nov 12 16:22:21.307: %USB_CONSOLE-6-MEDIA_USB: Console media-type is USB.

Hi,

I had the same issues as Ectstasea with none of the resolutions above from others.
My fault was resolved purely with connection of the USB Cable.

After Step 5, a restart occurs. What I had done was everything was prepped Before Step 1. USB Cable to Console plugged in and then I went through the driver install.

I'm guessing the Driver didn't take to the hardware due to a conflict of having the cable error in Device Manager already and upon setup, this was not correctly binding to the device COM port.
I uninstalled via the Setup.exe and went throught the requested reboot. Unplugged cables and then followed through on from Step 1-6

Worth following the steps detailed by Cisco as well as the helpful advice in this thread.

In short:

Install Setup.exe, Plug up and Hopefully it works!
If not, follow the information in this thread for troubleshooting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card