cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use Cisco 3850 to light up dark fiber?

r.walthall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,  I have a client that has dark fiber between 2 buildings. The fiber is multimode with ST connectors.  I'm wondering if I can connect a Cisco 3850 switch at each end and establish a connection. 

Wondering what the bill of materials would look like.  It seems I would need an SFP module? 

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It seems I would need an SFP module? 

If you want a nice-and-neat deployment, SFP/SFP+ would be recommended. 

The main question is what is your budget?

This question will answer whether or not you can use 1-, 10, or 40 Gbps to link the two buildings together.  

Follow-up questions are: 

1. What kind of fibre optic cable is used?  Single-mode or multi-mode?  
  2. How many strands of fibre optic can you use?  One-, two-, three- (or more) cable runs?  Very good for redundancy. 
  3. Finally, the cable provided is simplex or duplex?  

Take note you'll also need corresponding fibre optic patch cable for both ends.   Could be ST-LC (if using SFP/SFP+).

Hi Leo, Thanks for the quick response.  Answers to your questions below.

>The main question is what is your budget? This question will answer whether or not you can use >1-, 10, or 40 Gbps to link the two buildings together.  

We just need 1 Gbps

Follow-up questions are: 

>What kind of fibre optic cable is used?  Single-mode or multi-mode?  

multimode

>How many strands of fibre optic can you use?  One-, two-, three- (or more) cable runs?  Very >good for redundancy.

Let's assume 2 strands - one for transmit and one for receive

>Finally, the cable provided is simplex or duplex?

simplex 

Let's assume 2 strands - one for transmit and one for receive
>Finally, the cable provided is simplex or duplex?
simplex 

That means the fibre optic patch cable you'll need to source is ST-LC (Duplex) multimode. 

How "thick" is the cable run between the cabinets?  It should be OM2, OM3 or OM4.  OM4 is highly recommended.

>How "thick" is the cable run between the cabinets?  It should be OM2, OM3 or OM4?

Let's assume worst case - OM2.

Let's assume worst case - OM2.

This is one thing you can't assume.  Get the exact details.  

If, let's presume your fibre optic provider provisioned an OM3 and you went out and purchased an OM2 fibre optic patch lead, you'll get performance issue with your link.  

For SFP, then you'll need two GLC-SX-MMD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card