cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Used switch keeps booting to a company prompt no matter what

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

Bought 3 used switches and they keep booting to a company prompt and wants a username. I have changed to register to 0x2142 and tried sticking a different ios flash disk in with no luck. System keeps booting to image even when booted from rommon flash image..

Devices are sup32

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good Article Rolando...it was exactly what I was eluding too...Aaron, on some Sup's there are two points in which you need to Ctrl+Break and set the Config Register to 0x2142 before it will bypass the configuration.  During your boot process, I see where it is saying...

%OIR-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor

...and then its looks as if it starts to boot again, after you see console text

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Cat6k-MSFC2A platform with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

Ctrl+Break and set your Confreg to 0x2142 there as well and you should be golden!  I deal with this on a daily basis, your Gear is good my friend, no worries! 

One thing I would make sure is that you do this all in one boot sequence meaning you set both Confregs to 0x2142 in the same boot process of course Resetting in between each Confreg and after the second time let it boot completely and your good. 

Oh yeh and you will only have to set the Confreg back to 0x2102 once.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4

What model switches? It should be boot to rommon and change config register and then type boot.

Try with the reg value of 0x800

Check this URL: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/50421-config-register-use.html

GL

Rolando Valenzuela.

That has caused the system to stop displaying correctly

in the console now its just a bunch of random white blocks of data

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

I guess i have another issue now since i thought i would try the 0x800 and now it seems like it changed the console baud rate and is just reading a bunch of randomness.. Don't know what to do now.

These are the values for the console speed:

1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, and 115200

change your terminal emulator speed to one of the above and hopefully you'll regain console access

Konnekt1911
Level 1
Level 1

Depends on a few variables...Model Switches as M. Onan stated but also Model Sups w/installed Daughtercards and previous configuration most important.  Are they redundant?  When you get your Baud Rate sorted out pay close attention to your boot sequence...If you can copy and paste the entire boot process here and I may have a solution for you my friend.  Good Luck!

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

attached a dialog of the startup

Have a look at this link, it's password recovery for 6500, you should be able to access the cli of the switch and then erase the startup-config.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/14981-pswdrec-6000IOS.html

As stated above 0x2142 does not work as it does not bypass the boot process that the original owner has set in place

In the document I shared before said that the values, 0x8000 and 0x0040 ignores NVRAN information.

Here is also a similar problem, you can check it as well.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10037456/password-recovery-confreg-0x2142-doesnt-work

Rolando Valenzuela.

Good Article Rolando...it was exactly what I was eluding too...Aaron, on some Sup's there are two points in which you need to Ctrl+Break and set the Config Register to 0x2142 before it will bypass the configuration.  During your boot process, I see where it is saying...

%OIR-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor

...and then its looks as if it starts to boot again, after you see console text

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Cat6k-MSFC2A platform with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

Ctrl+Break and set your Confreg to 0x2142 there as well and you should be golden!  I deal with this on a daily basis, your Gear is good my friend, no worries! 

One thing I would make sure is that you do this all in one boot sequence meaning you set both Confregs to 0x2142 in the same boot process of course Resetting in between each Confreg and after the second time let it boot completely and your good. 

Oh yeh and you will only have to set the Confreg back to 0x2102 once.  Thanks!

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks that actually worked. I was not aware that there are two different boot areas to enter from

aaronhill1
Level 1
Level 1

I got in but i cant save the config because it says TAC can not be modified. Thanks for the help guys, Im just starting in the industry.

Aaron you should probably start a new thread since your original issue has been resolved.  At any rate, Why "copy start run" and not "copy run start"??  We just worked hard to ignore the configuration and now it seems as if you are trying to bring it back to life, lol!  Are you trying to see what the original config was?  If not alter your command to Save because as it stands now you are trying to copy the startup-config into your running-config...Hope this helps!  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card