cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using IP SLA to change routing

GREG FRISINGER
Level 4
Level 4

I have many switches connected together via a wireless network.  Is there any way to use IP SLA to modify the bandwidth statement on a portchannel.  I may have 2 to 4 radios in a port channel.  So if the each link is 10mb, I will have my bandwidth setup to 40mb for the port channel.  Now if only one link goes down I'm down to 30mb, but my routing still thinks it is 40mb.  Each switch has multiple radio links to various sites, so I don't want my routing to go over links that are actually slower due to a bandwidth statement based on having all radios active.

thanks for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Greg,

what about using equal cost multipath on indipendent layer3 links one for each wireless connection?

a failed link would be detected by the routing protocol and not used anymore until it recovers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Greg,

what about using equal cost multipath on indipendent layer3 links one for each wireless connection?

a failed link would be detected by the routing protocol and not used anymore until it recovers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I'm using the wireless network for MPLS.  I hope that would not affect my MPLS backbone.

GREG FRISINGER
Level 4
Level 4

That is a good idea.  it would take some work to change the IP's on the entire wireless backbone, but that would work.  Just put in a bandwidth statement on each individual link so that the routing protocol knows the exact bandwidth to figure out the route metrics with.  I'm using OSPF to route between the sites so would work just fine.  Are there any special commands to make this work, from what I've found it does not seem so.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card