cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Nexus 7000 VDC as Perimeter Router and switch

Brian Dean
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at possibly getting 10GB connections from my two ISPs and I'm considering options for receiving the 10GB connections both from the ISP and also handing off 10GB to my firewalls. I'm looking at already buying a pair of Nexus 7010s for the data center and I'm toying with the idea of using a VDC out of that for perimeter routing and switching. I'm already dual-homed using BGP with the ISPs and using each ISP as the default route for each existing router (a pair of 7201s), then announcing two public prefixes. Also using GLBP on the interfaces facing the outside of the firewalls. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has done this and what kind of experiences that have been had. Attached is a simple diagram of what I'm thinking. I'm not doing any NAT, Ipsec, firewall on the perimeter routers....just BGP and GLBP. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a customer that is doing something quite similar to what you describe, except for the GLBP, with an outside vdc and an inside vdc. They are doing outside routing, and inside switching/routing on the same box and it works pretty well for them. I have another customer who is doing something similar except they do it with vrf outside and vrf inside in the same vdc.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a customer that is doing something quite similar to what you describe, except for the GLBP, with an outside vdc and an inside vdc. They are doing outside routing, and inside switching/routing on the same box and it works pretty well for them. I have another customer who is doing something similar except they do it with vrf outside and vrf inside in the same vdc.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Brian. 

Have you seen this best practices/configuration guide for VPC on Cisco Nexus 7000 switches? Link: (http://cs.co/9006qRuI). Are you already working with a Cisco partner/representative for this requirement? Let me know if you have other concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) me directly. Kind regards. 

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

Brian,

Just curious if you ran into any problems with this configuration? Anything you weren't expecting and how is it performing today?

Thank you.

I ended up buying a pair of ASRs to do routing and just using the 7ks as switches between routers and firewalls (which is working fine). 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: