Views
Helpful
Replies

VDSL 867VAE web page delay / time out

twhittle1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've got an issue on which I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone offer me any advice / point me in the right direction?

I have recently switched broadband providers. I have a VDSL service from talktalk business (prev talk talk consumer) and I have an 867VAE as my internet facing router. 

I have it connected and configured and the internet connection is working, mostly... Weird little things keep happening which is making the connection unusable:

• certain pages take a long time to load, often the first time I go to a new page. The browser just loads and load, not getting anywhere, after a while it'll kick in
  • when I run an ookla internet speed test the download test works fine but the upload test doesn't work, saying "UPLOAD TEST ERROR - A socket error occurred during the Upload test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later. ". Weirdly some other internet speed tests work, for example the native one in chrome.
  • certain mobile apps stop functioning properly. for example if I go to ebay and search for something it does the same thing as web pages, it gets stuck on loading but never returns any results.

I am fairly sure it's a router configuration problem rather than the line or the network. The reason for this is when I connect the talktalk supplied router I don't get these issues. And nothing else is changing. Same switches, firewalls, wireless etc in between. And it happens across the whole network, as well as if I plug in directly to one of the router Fast Ethernet ports and get a DHCP address from the local scope.

I've tried 3 different software IOS versions so I don't believe this is the issue.

I thought I'd mirrored the configuration on the talktalk router but I must be missing something. 

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Any tips, tricks or ideas?

Many Thanks,

Tom

23 Replies 23

Sorry one last update, I'm having to give up for now due to the time but I'll be trying again tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Tom

Hello,

I think on the 867 you can set the WAN mode. If you set it to 'wan mode ethernet' you can use the GigabitEthernet interface for the outside, you might want to give that a try:

wan mode ethernet

!

interface GigabitEthernet0
description VDSL
!
interface GigabitEthernet0.101
encapsulation dot1Q 101
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
no cdp enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

Hi,

Will you please try to adjust your interfaces Ethernet0.101 and Dialer0 as per beneath (ie. also discard the extra commands):

interface Ethernet0.101

encapsulation dot1Q 101

interface Dialer0

ip mtu 1492

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

dialer pool 1

no cdp enable

ppp chap hostname xxxx@yyy.com

ppp chap password 0 xxxxxxxxx

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

Thanks for this. I'll try it later when I am able to.

Thanks,

Tom

@amikat wrote:

Hi,

Will you please try to adjust your interfaces Ethernet0.101 and Dialer0 as per beneath (ie. also discard the extra commands):

interface Ethernet0.101

encapsulation dot1Q 101

interface Dialer0

ip mtu 1492

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

dialer pool 1

no cdp enable

ppp chap hostname xxxx@yyy.com

ppp chap password 0 xxxxxxxxx

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Sadly it's still not made any difference.

I've discovered there is some kind of internet safety package included and I'm getting access to it to see if that is messing anything up. I'm not sure if this is or is not the cause because my talktalk router is working just fine.

I'll reply again once I've been able to test this.

Thanks,

Tom

Which interface is physically connected to the DSL line ? Have you tried to connect the GigabitEthernet interface in conjunction with the 'wan mode ethernet' setting ?

Hi,

Thanks for the below.

It's currently plugged into the VDSL interface. The presentation is RJ11 from the phone jack. Would it work plugged into the Ethernet interface? Same configuration just with WAN mode Ethernet as opposed to WAN mode DSL?

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry to come back so late, but my understanding is:

- No latency when using network command like ping, traceroute or nslookup?

To validate latency, have you created an IP SLA?

- The only issue is when you're accessing web page using any browser, right?

Which dns server are you using? Can you run a wireshark to see if when accessing web sites you're experiencing any  packet loss and/or drop?

Did you try using any other dns servers?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Paul Norris
Level 1
Level 1

We also have this issue and have raised a TAC case which was never solved. We think there is an issue with the Firmware for the VDSL interface which only effects certain ISP's in the UK.

Our solution was to use the echo life ( dare I say it Huawei white BT box ) from ebat £10.00 and set the WAN mode to ethernet. In this way the VDSL port is not used and the problem goes away.

Not perfect but we tried everything as well and both TAC and the ISP who are very knowlegable with reagrds to Cisco configutration had no success.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card