Views
Helpful
Replies

VDSL2 link on a private copper pair?

informatique
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a central office and a branch office.  The branch is about 1km away, but we have a couple of private copper pairs still free to use.

We currently use a VPN over an ADSL link to reach that branch, but we'd like to use two 887VA on one of those private pairs to upgrade to a (free!) VDSL2 link.

We already have a private VDSL link for another branch using a RAD ASM-61 kit, and we've been trying to configure those 887 for days to emulate that kit.  But we can't seem to convince them to see each other oven even the simplest RJ11 cabling.

Are those routers even able to function without a DSLAM/PBX?

Regards,

Nicolas Briche

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are those routers even able to function without a DSLAM/PBX?

No.

Thanks for your reply; do I absolutely need a DSLAM, or would a PABX providing a carrier be enough?

Regards,

Nicolas Briche

Hello Nicolas,

a VDSL2 DSLAM is needed that provides a CO modem the counterpart of the modem present in your routers, a PABX is a totally different type of signal and it would not work.

xDSL use the copper but a different frequencies using multiple subcarriers carrying some info bits/subacarrier, the phone system is baseband and used lowest frequencies.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe; at least I know now not to continue hitting my head on the wall on this configuration problem...

I guess I'll just have to find another of those ASM-61 kits, maybe one with VDSL2 support.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Nicolas

Actually it would be simpler to just use a pair of G.SHDSL routers like 888, 888E, or 888EA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card