Views
Helpful
Replies

Verify Operation of NIM-VAB-A

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a NIM-VAB-A that doesn't seem to be working based on the following output, but I don't have an ADSL line to test it with yet. Here is the sh cont VDSL 0/1/0 output:

Controller VDSL 0/1/0 is DOWN

Daemon Status: TRAINING

XTU-R (DS) XTU-C (US)
Chip Vendor ID: ' ' ' '
Chip Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
Chip Vendor Country: 0x0000 0x0000
Modem Vendor ID: ' ' ' '
Modem Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
Modem Vendor Country: 0x0000 0x0000
Serial Number Near:
Serial Number Far:
Modem Version Near:
Modem Version Far:

Modem Status: Idle
DSL Config Mode: ADSL2+
Trained Mode:

TC Mode: UNKNOWN
Selftest Result: 0x00
DELT configuration: disabled
DELT state: not running

Failed full inits: 0
Short inits: 0
Failed short inits: 0

Modem FW Version:
Modem PHY Version:
Modem PHY Source: bootflash:
Modem PHY FW Pkg: nim_vab_phy_fw_A39t_B39g1_Bond39t.pkg

Training Log : Stopped
Training Log Filename : flash:vdsllog.bin

The chip and modem vendor information is blank. Is this normal when no DSL line is connective and trained? Is my NIM-VAB-A defective?

Tha

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure to use the latest firmware available for the device. Also I would strongly advice to check if you still have issues once a dsl line gets connected.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

The NIM xDSL cards and xDSL cards of previous generations do not require a firmware file to operate, as they come with preloaded firmware. This card seems to run an embedded linux system and the firmware is the image.

The firmware I'm using with it is the latest, but you need to read the release notes as the latest version isn't always intended for your region/DSLAM, as this was the case in previous generations.

There are two types of firmware. One is "PHY" and the other is "regular" and the configuration guide really doesn't explain the difference between the two. Do you know the difference? The guide is here.

But the question is, without it trained, should it display blank chip/modem vendor IDs or is the card defective? The previous generation shows at least the downstream channel modem/chip IDs.

Thanks.

- Defective or nor can only be determined by doing the final test....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

What I am asking is if the blank chip/modem vendor IDs without the NIM-VAB-A trained is normal behavior or not.

- The only further argument I can make for my case, is that if you look at the examples in the manual , the Vendor ID is always displayed when the line is  up.

M.

I was hoping someone with a NIM-VAB-A that they knew was functional can provide the output when not trained.

THE CARD OUTPUT IS CORRECT 

AS IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO VDSL LINE

I HAVE THE NIM-VAB-M AND THE OUTPUT FROM IT IS AS YOURS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card