cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying routing

acastilloh5690
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a switch L3 that connects to two ISPs. The routing protocol used is BGP (one ISP is configured with a neighbor weight of 100 and the other is left by default). There is a route-map applied for the two of the ISP that only allows the default route in. I would like to test if I have internet connectivity using the backup ISP, but I cannot bring down any interface or change the configuration, due the fact that this is a production network. Is there a way I can force my tracert or ping to go through the secondary ISP to test the connectivity through it?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the easiest way to test would to just ping e.g. 8.8.8.8 using the IP address or the interface of the backup.

ping 8.8.8.8 source

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

you can use PBR = Policy Based Routing

access-list 15 permit host x.x.x.x

route-map PBR permit 10

match address 15

set ip next-hop <Secondary-ISP-next-hop>

on internal interface like SVI interface Vlan 50 you apply

interface Vlan 50

ip policy route-map PBR

Note : PBR works only on the incoming direction so it needs to be applied on internal interface.

In this way a single specific host can test the backup path in the upstream direction.

Warning: I supposed you are not doing NAT on your L3 switch but before.

So the x.x.x.x address should be a public address.

To avoid to impact all traffic use a static NAT entry on device performing NAT

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card